Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Compact battery solution!

bhank

I just had surgery on Friday, so I've been stuck at home in a bit of pain lol bored as hell. So to ease the pain of boredom for the next 4 weeks or so while im stuck at home, I've got some parts coming for my own 7 color. So I was looking online at hobbypartz.com just seeing what kind of motors they have just becuase I'm into RC stuff as well and I came across This.

It's a 3.7v rechargable Li-Po battery. It's only rated at 350mAh but I figured you could wire 2 of them up in parallel and get 3.7v and 700mAh. I'm not quite sure what the exact dimensions are because the site isn't very informative, but it is under the "Micro Lipo Battery" section so I'm guessing its pretty tiny lol. I know it may or may not be the best option, personally i dont like LiPo batteries, but I figure at $5.40 per battery it may be worth a try.

SO, if anyone has any experience with this battery or something similar, please share your exeprience with the rest of us :)

ZRTMWA

Don't lipos usually require complicated or more complicated chargers than NiMH and NiCD batteries? If they were wired in parallel would the little white tab need to be pulled off? If so would it still be possible to charge them? That's a good idea though, depending on how small they are. I love multicolor compact builds (even if I don't own one :)).

bhank

lol yeah I'm pretty sure I'd have to take off the connectors and work with bare wires. As far as the more complicated charging lol I'm really not sure. I just thought it sounded like a good idea becuase its nice and small and provides the right voltage. I've got the charger already so for me that isn't really a problem becuase I've got chargers for RC helicopters, planes, and buggies haha, so my universal charger should work fine. BUT who knows if it'll work, it just sounded fairly simple and small.

ZRTMWA

@o0Ice0o: Oh that wasn't even the charger I was thinking of. With multicell lipo's, you need one that charges evenly, with a balancer. They can usually cost $100-$200. I'm much happier to see one of those inexpensive style chargers with these.

@mfo: Yeah they can explode when in water. And if overcharged they can explode or catch on fire. I guess just make sure your waterproof kit is really waterproof. You could always get a LiPo sack:

LipoSack.com

It makes sure the battery only smokes instead of catching on fire if you overcharge your battery:

YouTube - lipo sack

bhank

Yeah thats still what I plan on using, I just thought I'd mention those lipos. i mean like i said I dont personally like lipos but hey, theyre small, and can be used lol. Just a very small alternative for those who need a really small power source.

bhank

Awesome. Well I'm still not quite sure what I'm going to use but I'm thinking some 3.6v rechargable cr2s or cr123as.

My dad has built a .60 Extra 300 and has an 1/8 scale nitro stadium truck and a very big 1/5 scale gasoline buggy. I've built a Losi stadium truck, 1/8 scale sportwerks Mayhem nitro buggy, Raptor .50 helicopter, and an electric Trex 450 helicopter, so we've had a bit of experience with lipos lol. I know I've seen some small ones at the hobby shop and I know that jayrob used some in his TEC builds, so I started thinking that I could use a micro lipo battery for my 7 color build even though I dont particularly like LiPos lol. BUT, I think I'm just going to stick with my original idea of using CR2s. Figured it'd be a short little discussion that might get someone thinkin lol.

Tabish

Nice RC stuff ya got there!

I built a foamie extra 300 too lol.
It's amazing, does all sort of tricks in the air.

As for the batts, you may want to consider the 3-cell lipos too. Plenty of juice.

DealExtreme: $14.79 1500mAh 11.1V 15C Rechargeable Lithium Battery Pack
DealExtreme: $22.05 2400mAh 11.1V 15C Rechargeable Lithium Battery Pack

I wanna try nitro but no $ for it lol

Anyway, I like the electric foamies. If I crash em, all I lose is $5-10 worth of foam :)

Plus the 3-cell batts / brushless motors have insane power.

EDIT : You don't need a very expensive balance charger for these!!!

I use this charger for 2/3 cell (its a balance charger) : http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12856

And this quick battery voltage tester (tells voltage of each cell): http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11995

Last edited:

bhank

LOL yeah nitro is quite a bit more expensive but it's worth it LOL. The smell of the nitro after workin on the car or plane or heli is just a bit of a plus LOL. And the sound is cooler than the buzz of electrics haha. I do love my trex 450 though :). Anyway, yeah I think I'm still gonna just stick with cr2s just because I'm ok with a little bigger build and I'd rather use rechargable lithiums than lipo mainly because I don't want to lose close to $400 in the event that one bursts or catches fire LOL. I'm planning to use 4 cr2d pretty much like jayrob did in his build, I've just got a little different setup in mind.

Jaseth

A lot of houses burn down due to misuse (especially overcharging) of lithium polymer batteries.. My friend almost did it to his when leaving an RC plane battery for too long - he needed a new desk and new wallpaper after that incident.

Seb