Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Common sources for diodes and drivers

Hey, I wanted to compile a list of common household appliances that you can salvage diodes from. If you know about where to get these items, i ask for your grace in sharing.

Uv:
TEA laser (338nm)

405nm
:
Blu-ray burner

445nm:
Projector screens

535nm:
?.?

520nm:
Projector screens

632.5nm:
laserdisc players

638nm:
?.?

650nm:
Dvd burner
CD/DVD Burner

780nm:
CD/DVD Burner
CD burner
laser printer (typ: 20mW)
Laser mice (needs verification)

1.22*10^(8) nm:
Microwave magnetron (field based)

Equipment with unidentified wavelengths:
Document Scanners (Lamp based?)

Any help in completing the following list would be awesome!

Last edited:

Interesting list you have going, here's my tackle at the unidentified wavelengths:

Equipment with unidentified wavelengths:
Laser mice
Cd burner
Dvd burner
Laser printer
Document Scanners

Most (if not all) laser mice use IR diodes IIRC.

I had thought CD/DVD burners use red, I can't remember the specific wavelength though (650nm?). But I also remember reading somewhere that they use 780nm IR diodes.

Not sure about laser printers.

What sort of document scanners are you referring to? I believe some of them use some sort of lamp rather than lasers.

Edit: Found this thread about laser printers: http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/laser-printer-diode-27979.html

Last edited:

diachi

Interesting list you have going, here's my tackle at the unidentified wavelengths:

Most (if not all) laser mice use IR diodes IIRC.

I had thought CD/DVD burners use red, I can't remember the specific wavelength though (650nm?). But I also remember reading somewhere that they use 780nm IR diodes.

Not sure about laser printers.

What sort of document scanners are you referring to? I believe some of them use some sort of lamp rather than lasers.

Edit: Found this thread about laser printers: http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/laser-printer-diode-27979.html

CD diodes are ~780nm too - DVD diodes are ~650nm. CD/DVD combos have both.

Rivem

I dont know if you're including gas lasers or not. Since you can still find them occasionally, laserdisc players are a source for small 632.8nm HeNe tubes. Similarly, old barcode readers have them too.

Fiber optic equipment might yield some farther IR laser diodes as well. Newer audio systems & TVs maybe? Fiber internet modems might as well. Not sure how likely you are to find a laser diode since I think LEDs are more common for short distances.

Microwave oven magnetrons are far from lasers, but the wavelength is 12.2 cm (2.45 ghz).

You also aren't going to find any UV lasers in anything at home unless you live in a research facility. (Not that you couldn't make one)

diachi

You also aren't going to find any UV lasers in anything at home unless you live in a research facility. (Not that you couldn't make one)

If we're going to include lasers that can be made from common household supplies we'll be here all day. :D

TEA Air/N2 laser is a good one though ... really doesn't take a whole lot to get some UV lasing. Can throw in a dye cell using laundry detergent after that...

Rivem

If we're going to include lasers that can be made from common household supplies we'll be here all day. :D

TEA Air/N2 laser is a good one though ... really doesn't take a whole lot to get some UV lasing. Can throw in a dye cell using laundry detergent after that...

Just with an air TEA and various household dyes, you could have a big list of homemade lasers.

Really want to build my own soon. Somebody needs to make a handheld TEA with interchangeable dye cells. :)

Edit:
1.22*10^(8) nm:
Microwave magnetron (field based)

Just have to say that magnetrons are not lasers and are way more dangerous to experiment with/extract. You really need to know what you're doing if you mess with them. If you're going to include them, you may as well include directional WiFi antennas, LEDs, and any other directional em source.

The original "laser" technology was called MASER and did in fact put out microwaves. FEL tech can also put out microwaves. You won't find anything hobbyist accessible that puts out coherent microwaves though.

Admittedly, a magnetron functions similarly to a FEL, but it will not put out coherent or well-collimated microwaves.

Last edited:

what? is there a guide on this somewhere?

Yeah, loads of them. Sam's FAQ has a bunch but there are many others.

https://www.google.ca/?ion=1&espv=2#q=DIY+TEA+N2+laser

Sam's Laser FAQ - Home-Built Nitrogen (N2) Laser

Other google search term to try is "DIY TEA Air laser". TEA Air should be a little easier construction wise but may be harder to get lasing.
these TEA lasers seem like very shoddy an dangerous devices.... Maybe I'll make one.
edit:
in theory, is it possible to create a CO2 TEA by having dry ice in a reasonable proximity to the electrodes?

Last edited:

diachi

these TEA lasers seem like very shoddy an dangerous devices.... Maybe I'll make one.
edit:
in theory, is it possible to create a CO2 TEA by having dry ice in a reasonable proximity to the electrodes?

Some builds actually end up looking pretty nice - others are cobbled together on a tabletop and look "Shoddy" as you said. I'll dig up some links later on... :p

Ehh ... A CO2 TEA laser is possible, but I don't see just having dry ice in close proximity being enough. Maybe if you sat it in a tub with dry ice at the bottom and a platform for the laser to sit on - the CO2 should displace the air in the tub. Not sure what pressure TEA CO2 needs though.

Last edited: