Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Coming Soon: Radiant Mini™ USB Power Meter

Trevor

Perhaps an original idea is in order for your 'new release' ?

Let's talk about this meter form factor (sensor, box, USB cable). Kenom brought the USB-only Kenometer USB to market last year, Jerry brought Bauer Electronics' USB-only LPM to market recently, and Radiant Electronics is planning on joining the market too.

Coherent and other photonics companies had that form factor long before hobbyists - did any hobbyist LPM use this form factor after real photonics companies (Coherent et al) did, but before Kenom? I don't recall any, correct me if I'm wrong?

Besides, this is the same way a new laser seller would enter the market. He or she is selling a type of device - a handheld laser. Kenom, lasersbee, and MM are selling a USB-only LPM. Radiant is following in the footsteps of Kenom and lasersbee, much how a new seller of handheld laser kits designs new heatsinks for hosts. Radiant shouldn't copy any other LPM's internals, just like someone shouldn't use Jayrob's heatsink designs. All three of these meters have unique internals.

Competition in markets is what drives innovation, my friend. Without it, the hobbyist LPM market would stagnate! :)

-Trevor

I really tried hard not to post on MM's thread...

But I hear my name being thrown around....
Twhite.... you know not of what goes on...
It will become clear in the next few days...:cool:

Jerry

rhd

I haven't been engaged in the hobby field long enough to know the full history of LPMs back since the Coherent-only days many here have spoken about.

That said, I don't think ANYONE, in any field, creating any type of product that measures data can consider it a fowl for a competitor to add USB functionality just because they did it first. Everything gets USB functionality added to it. That's common - and I don't say this to demean - it's not "brilliant".

That's an obvious iteration of the technology. I don't mean "obvious" as in "boring", but rather as in "it's the logical next step". Adding a USB interface is not an innovation. You couldn't patent a USB-enabled version of - anything really - because it would fail the non-obviousness test. IE - Someone reasonably well versed in the field would consider the implementation of USB on an LPM to be an obvious next step.

I realize we're not talking about strict patentability here, but rather "ethics" in a self-policing "social" hobbyist field. However, the underlying rationale for a non-obviousness test still fits. (IE, You don't want to restrict the implementation of logical iterations of a technology. What you DO want to do, is protect is truly unique and brilliant innovation.)

So if adding USB data logging is an obvious iteration for hobbyist level LPMs (and it is - a million times over, it IS), then we shouldn't expect anyone creating hobbyist level LPMs to forgo implementing the technology. Having said that, if someone came up with a brilliant new way of measuring laser power, then it would be appropriate for us to expect them to have some level of exclusivity, and for other hobbyists to respect this.

At least, that's my two cents, with another penny or two contributed by patent law ;)

Last edited:
Let's talk about this meter form factor (sensor, box, USB cable). Kenom brought the USB-only Kenometer USB to market last year, Jerry brought Bauer Electronics' USB-only LPM to market recently, and Radiant Electronics is planning on joining the market too.

Coherent and other photonics companies had that form factor long before hobbyists - did any hobbyist LPM use this form factor after real photonics companies (Coherent et al) did, but before Kenom? I don't recall any, correct me if I'm wrong?

Besides, this is the same way a new laser seller would enter the market. He or she is selling a type of device - a handheld laser. Kenom, lasersbee, and MM are selling a USB-only LPM. Radiant is following in the footsteps of Kenom and lasersbee, much how a new seller of handheld laser kits designs new heatsinks for hosts. Radiant shouldn't copy any other LPM's internals, just like someone shouldn't use Jayrob's heatsink designs. All three of these meters have unique internals.

Competition in markets is what drives innovation, my friend. Without it, the hobbyist LPM market would stagnate! :)

-Trevor
Just 2 slight corrections.....

1) the name if my registered Canadian company is J.BAUER Electronics

2) I did not step on Kenoms toes while he was selling the USB or
his Pro by selling a similar product... Which could have easily
been done... nor did I come out with a similar Alpha... which would
have been even easier... I designed something else...

But #2 is besides the point... As MM posted on another Thread...
competition is good for the buyer...:cool:

Jerry

Last edited:

Trevor

I was speaking only in terms of designs being taken, like wannaburn stated.

Glad to see you agree with my analysis though. :beer:

-Trevor

Last edited:

rhd

You know what - I think this LPM competitor infighting needs to cool down. For one, it's unpleasant for everybody else.

But second (and more importantly) - from what I can see, you're all violating what looks to me to be a currently valid (in Canada and the US at least) patent on portable Laser Power Meters that won't expire until 2017.

I'm not going to post the patent # or URL here, just in case the owner conducts frequent google searches to find discussion of their patent # online.

But I think it's in the hobby field's interest for you guys to all stop infighting about this, and just be happy that we have sub $200 gadgets to measure our lasers with.

Trevor

I wish I knew what this meant.

Good marketing strategy. :)

steve-jobs-ipad-320.jpg

-Trevor

Helios

DANG I when I saw mini usb I was thinking under 500mW - WRONG

Then when I saw 3W I was thinking ok this thing is going to be expensive! - WRONG

I hope you get a lot of the components right up front because you wont be able to make these fast enough.

Right, but I asked what about restock of the Radiant Alpha.

Can you give me an answer?

I've got a whole bunch of components and once another bag of stuff arrives I'll be shipping some off for assembly. So more will be coming soon :yh:

I've got a whole bunch of components and once another bag of stuff arrives I'll be shipping some off for assembly. So more will be coming soon :yh:

Cool.

:thanks:

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Hope it'll be very soon.

Last edited:
The Meter Wars and the one up man-ship really is getting annoying!!! Alex & Brad are extremely courteous and take it all in stride, and I hate to see Them and there product bashed. It all needs to STOP...

This is just My 0.02 so flamers beware!

rhd

My $0.02 is still that, despite one of the patents I spoke of yesterday having actually lapsed for non-payment, there at least 2 valid US patents that I think cover much of the LPM tech used by these small portable LPMs we have here.

Well - the actual $0.02 to take from all of that - is that FOR EVERYONE'S SAKE (LPM makers, forum posters, laser enthusiasts), it would be a good idea to simmer all of this back-and-forth battling down, and quiet all the drama.

If people continue to be stupid about this, it's going to attract the attention of someone who owns one of those patents (and their lawyer). Regardless of whether there's infringement or not (I don't really have an opinion there), it bottom-line sucks to be a small guy needing to spend money on counsel.

So everyone needs to cut the crap - for all of our sake's.

Yep, that's my $0.02