Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Combining 5x 808nm

Glenni

So I have quite a dilemma, seeing how I'm "sort" of new to lasers. I've toyed around with them for a while, but I haven't done anything like this before.

I'm building a CNC machine, which I'm going to strap a laser on. I have a quantity of 5x 808nm lasers (Each of which has a power output of circa 1W).

Is there any way to combine theese beams, and get a decent focal point? (Decent as in 1-2mm, I suppose)

- Glenni

(Yes, I know that IR isn't the best laser for engraving / cutting, and it's still a WIP, I will most likely add a co2 laser in the future when I know I can count on it)

ARG

You could knife edge them, then use a lens to focus it onto the CNC table. What are you trying to do with this CNC machine?

5W doesn't go far with CNC, you may be better off saving yourself some time and just take the plunge with a CO2 Laser.

Edit: See this thread for about to combine diodes. http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/10-diode-445-build-67689.html

Last edited:

Glenni

You could knife edge them, then use a lens to focus it onto the CNC table. What are you trying to do with this CNC machine?

5W doesn't go far with CNC, you may be better off saving yourself some time and just take the plunge with a CO2 Laser.

Edit: See this thread for about to combine diodes. http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/10-diode-445-build-67689.html

I know 5W doesn't go that far. I'm gonna use it for foam / engrawing wood.

That sick build, HOW DOES HE DO IT? Dude has got to be a wizard.

Just buying a 5W diode would likely be cheaper than buying all the equipment to combine what you have already, and the single die beam will be better than a knife edged array.