Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Combining 405 single mode & 445 multi mode using pbs cube

Hi guys. I was contemplating building a laser by combining a 405 nm single mode beam using a pbs cube with a 445/450 nm multi mode beam. I don't see why this would'nt work, but wanted to get other opinions. The goal would be to get the nice bright beam and high power short range burning ability of the 445 combined with the long distance burn ability of the 405. I figure that by centering the round tight dot of the violet beam near the middle of the blue dash(dot) the resulting burn effect would be very intense. I was hoping to use this PBS cube I found as it is rated for 405 and figure that there would be some loss on the 445 but hoping not too much. Any thoughts?

405nm PBS Cubes

If you're up to a big project like that, it would be more useful to use some kind of beam correcting optics after combining 2x 445 lasers.

Also if you want the illusion of a "single" laser, you will need to match the divergences, otherwise the lasers will split with distance.

Nice Rick. But with one singlemode and one multimode, wouldn't the round 405 dot just sit in the middle of the 445 dash(dot)? Would I need a 1/2 waveplate with this setup? I figured no since there is only one multimode in use.