Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

cold blooded?

budule

at first i thought it was the batterys cause when i came inside and changed them it worked fine , but as soon as it got cold i got nothing (kinda like dealing with my wife)... do these things need to be warm to work? if so thats going to suck bigtime for my green vortex contraption cause its fairly cold here around halloween...might need to rethink my design and add somekinda warmer....a small lamp perhaps..i dont know...

If you're talking about a greenie, yes, it needs to be in a certain temp range unless its TEC regulated (I'm guessing this one isn't..). 20-30 degrees Celsius is recommended although every unit will be slightly different.

I ran 3 home made laser effects at halloween this year, all had greenies in them.
The tricolour display stayed resolutely red until I got it back home in the warm, the green in the liquid sky worked perfectly at exactly the same temperature and the handheld spiro started out quite well and got better as it warmed up.....

What this tells me is that they are incredibly variable in the susceptability to temperature..in simple terms there are good'uns and bad'uns :)

Regards rog8811

Benm

You could use a power resistor to heat the laser unit, and vary current trough the resistor to provide the amount of heating required.

Another option would be to insulate the laser, so that it can keep itself warm.

Both could work in an environment thats always cold.. otherwise you'd need some sort of thermostat for regulation.

Things

well the insulation would be the easiest/cheapest, but if the laser gets to warm, it might die out, so be careful with that one. Usually greenies can warm themselves after a while, and the output remains fairly stable, but if you live in a place with snow/hail and just really cold climate, a small heater( like a resistor, as someone said) would work jut fine, but just make sure you keep an eye on the temp!

budule

i was gona enclose it anyway so i was thinking maybe mount a small watt (3 1/2 or 7 small base) lamp in there on a switch, ...could have it on when laser is off, might keep it warm enough....i hate to just leave the laser on all the time, it takes about 20 minutes to go through the "haunted house" so once you pass the vortex it would be on for 20 minutes before anyone else sees it,..thats why i've been turning it on and off....can it be left on without any harm? i guess i could come up with somekinda "quickie" mount and just keep the laser in my pocket but im fumblin around enough as it is.... this is a "low tech" haunted house, so im back there running around like crazy pulling on levers, hitting the fog machines, making the clown fly, snakes on fishing line, mad sceinctist ...very exhausting but very worth it

Benm

What kind of laser do you have anyways?

If you use it only briefly and then don't need if for half an hour, perhaps heating it with a resistor or little lamp might be best. Most pen-style laser pointers are not intended for continous use. That limitation is mostly thermal though, so if it keeps as a nice temperature on its on in your cold environment, i guess there wouldn't be much of a problem.

budule

i really dont know what kind it is...came from microfiber..mpo br5 is the item #....i was gona get a couple of those 17.00 dx cheapies and cut them in half and mount them...that was the plan anyway, i hate to cut this one at 42.00, it dont unscrew in the middle it has a end cap.