Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Coherent Pocket Meter For Trade

I want to trade this Coherent Pocket Meter for a laserBee meter or another meter like it. I like the Coherent and it works great, but I need a meter that will go down below 400nm. I paid ~$500 for this little guy. They aren't cheap. It has a few laser burns on the casing. To be expected.
Here it is in action.

JLSE

LOL, a few laser burns... ;D Mine too ;) I think this must be a common thing.

What are you looking to trade? I bought mine brand spanking new, but it wont measure without the attenuator in place. This is kind of an issue for my He/Ne's

I got lots of goodies...

I finally put a piece of masking tape with a hole cut for the Sensor around
the hole to stop burning the Flat  Black Plastic case with some of my
higher powered lasers... :cool:

Jerry

Coherent sells these brand new for $395.00. I just checked their website !!!!!!!!!

phoenix77 said:
Coherent sells these brand new for $395.00. I just checked their website !!!!!!!!!
Yeah... and by the time you pay Shipping... Duty... and Taxes and the Exchange rate...
mine almost cost $600.00... :eek:

Jerry

You live in CANADA though. I don't think it's quite that much in the USA, but I could be wrong, I usually am ;D ;D

JLSE

lasersbee said:
I finally put a piece of masking tape with a hole cut for the Sensor around

Jerry

Thats a good idea, I scorched mine good with a 1watt IR :-/ and other high powr builds...

All said and done, I paid 399. + exchange + shipping and another 80$ at the door in customs fees. I was in the same boat as you for cost.

Where was the Laserbee I when I bought this ;)

Thanks for the resize I am usually pretty good about that but I must have let this one slip by on accident.

I got one of these a few years ago, works great for every other wavelength and paid a arm and a leg for it. Although I have found from my testing that if you set it to 400nm for all your violet lasers, it will be pretty close to what they are actually pushing out. It's when you try to match the nm up with the violets nm it gives wacky results (like setting it at 405nm or 409nm etc).

I have a confirmed 150mW violet and a confirmed 115mW violet. And when I use 400nm as the testing wavelength I get about ~148mW for my 150mW and ~112mW for my 115mW. So it definitely works Ok when you set it like that. Although I only have the two confirmed ones, and need a few more tests to see if I just am getting lucky with those two, or if it actually is reading near correctly.

I will try that out and see how it works. I have a blu-ray that I measured at 150mW a reviewer measured the same laser to be 272mW :eek: I am starting to realize why so many of my PHR diodes have died at 150mW. And also why my PHR diodes measure in at 50-60mW at 100ma current.

Yeah, I just built a blu-ray that is set to 139mA. It rates on my meter at about 125mW, so it might be close to 130mW, which seems right.

But dang, what mA were you driving those others that you thought were 150mW?

JLSE

Remember that the 405nm in PHR diodes is almost a random wavelength.. I have PHRs above 405nm and below. I even have one that might be below 400nm, it is much dimmer than any other ive seen (over 400 diodes tested) but registers at 110mW on my laserbee, so its not just dim from lack of power.

There was another member a while back who also had one like this. So measuring with the LC is a gamble no matter what wavelength you set it to.

It is a useful tool when determining wavelength though.. As long as you have a thermoplile for the comparisons.

WannaBurn said:
[quote author=lasersbee link=1239640660/0#3 date=1239641814]I finally put a piece of masking tape with a hole cut for the Sensor around

Jerry

Thats a good idea, I scorched mine good with a 1watt IR :-/ and other high powr builds...

All said and done, I paid 399. + exchange + shipping and another 80$ at the door in customs fees. I was in the same boat as you for cost.

Where was the Laserbee I when I bought this ;)[/quote]
I had to buy the LaserCheck to start the LaserBee I design... I even had
3 at one point because of weird non repeatable readings.. :eek:

Yeah... I use my LC in conjunction with a Thermopile LPM to home in on the
Wavelength of a specific Laser... One of my Dildas is at 655nm... :cool:

Jerry

JLSE

yobresal said:
400 PHR diodes!!!!!!!?????!!!!

And counting... ;D Ive been very busy as you can see ;)

@ Jerry..

My LC wont give constant readings either. The numbers slowly drop, but I think its a saturation thing. When I give it a dark rest in between it seems fine.

I do like the fact that the LC is super portable, which means if I ever have the desire or need to run around town measuring lasers... :p

Other than that it stays in its nice little leather box :-?