Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

coherent perfect absorber - anti-laser

SHARE: :shhh:
I found this at wikipedia, but I cannot understand it. is it related to the wavelengths cancellation that occurs on flashlights, common lights etc?
hope that someone likes it :)

short summmary of the device from wikipedia:
In the proposed design, identical lasers are fired toward one another through a piece of light-absorbing material, such as silicon. This method substitutes the gain medium of a laser with a material which exhibits opposing properties. This causes most of the photons to be absorbed, while the remaining light waves are cancelled out by interfering with each other. Although no working anti-laser yet exists, "it is likely that this will happen in the near future".

a laser that absorbs light? hmmm
bad idea, we are worried with people that point lasers at planes,
when anti-lasers goes out we will be worried with people pointing they at the sun lol.

In case of the anti-laser there is a gain medium with a gain smaller than 1, so actually a loss, the opposite of a laser. And instead of having coherent output the output is cancelled by destructive interference, a coherent output out of phase.
But if you read how the do it it's a lot less exciting. Just point the same laser at two opposite sites of a lossy medium.

HIMNL9 You would have to use 4 White Holes to contain the black hole. I can see the major drawbacks to this approach.

1) Finding 4 White Holes
2) Moving said holes to black hole location.
3) relocating the whole cluster F to a convenient location for use.

Did I miss anything major?

In case of the anti-laser there is a gain medium with a gain smaller than 1, so actually a loss, the opposite of a laser. And instead of having coherent output the output is cancelled by destructive interference, a coherent output out of phase.
But if you read how the do it it's a lot less exciting. Just point the same laser at two opposite sites of a lossy medium.

someone would need a laser with a loss medium then?
lol

HIMNL9

HIMNL9 You would have to use 4 White Holes to contain the black hole. I can see the major drawbacks to this approach.

1) Finding 4 White Holes
2) Moving said holes to black hole location.
3) relocating the whole cluster F to a convenient location for use.

Did I miss anything major?

Yes ..... for a spherical containment grid, you need 6 white holes, not 4 :p :D

But if you can't find enough white holes, you can close it in a Klein bottle and place the bottle on a real projective plane, inside a support cup made with 0.1mm thin neutronium foil (ofcourse, only if your basement can hold more than 75.000 tons :p :D)

Benm

I think You could classify a Black Hole as an Anti-Laser.:whistle:

Ah well, at least it makes a decent beamdump. I suppose the problem is that it is not an anti-laser in the sense that it specifically absorbs coherent light of a specific wavelength.

On the plus side, it will absorb the actual laser unit, cancelling the beam permanently :D

Take it a step further and make it so it traps the wave pattern as potential energy that can be released on demand, you could build everything from a photonic memory chip for a quantum computer to a working star-trek style phaser.

HIMNL9

On the plus side, it will absorb the actual laser unit, together with the laserist, cancelling the beam (and any possible future beaming) permanently :D

Fixed ..... :p :crackup:

Take it a step further and make it so it traps the wave pattern as potential energy that can be released on demand, you could build everything from a photonic memory chip for a quantum computer to a working star-trek style phaser.

good idea :X