Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

COAST Mod NDG700 Build

badboybilly

So in my search for laser hosts I came across the Coast hp14 at my local Cash converters, it was second hand and a little banged up, but a very nice solid torch, so for $45 I knew it would be an interesting laser build.

I have always preferred smaller builds however it would be nice to own a large good quality laser. I was very happy to find out that Budgetbeams XML T6 heatsink fits this host perfect, the 12mm hole was just a tad loose for Jordan's copper module so instead of using thermal adhesive and never being able to remove the module again, I spread some thermal adhesive evenly all around the inside about a millimetre thick let it dry then gently using a round file on my handy drill press I filed it down for a perfect press fit and also added some thermal grease, now the set screw isn't necessary but I tightened it up anyway.

I decided to modify the host to a smooth aluminium look, in the process removed all the dings piece by piece until I was happy with the finish, I should have polished it up also, maybe later.

I've added plenty pics to detail the build process for anyone interested.

I haven't had time to modify the battery compartment just yet, But the original module for the batts holds 4 14500 so 16.8v might be fine if not 3 with a spacer will do well.

The clicky on this host is exceptional very solidly constructed. Thanks again to Jordan for the NDG 700 and the Xdrive 1.8a driver and the 3 day express shipping to Australia.

Attachments

Last edited:

badboybilly

With a 2 element 520 coated lens from Jordan and only 2 14500 IMRs I'm getting 850mw!

Attachments

Last edited:

Pman

A lot of work went into that. Nice job and +REP

Lifetime17

LPF Site Supporter
Hi BBB,
wow nice build buddy that came out awesome I have 3- NDG700 builds and at 1.8A you'll get around 1100+W's of a bright green beam. With that heat sink and diode duty cycles will be long and sweet. Kudos to you have a Rep + on me for the fine work you did.

Rich:)

DTR

LPF Site Supporter
Great work. Love to see real custom builds. Enjoy.:beer:

Pman

Jeepers life, you have 3 700s? Holy smokes.