Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CNI, lenses, a decrease of quality and how to fix it

Hello guys,

As some of you may know, I have recenly purchased a CNI 635nm, 50mW laser from Dragon. The laser was wonderful right out of the box, I have no real complaints.

However, one thing has popped up that may be a problem. In my almost 20 years of having CNI products, every single one has had a glass lens. I approached this laser assuming that it would have one as well, and cleaned it in the same manner as I always clean lasers with glass lenses: I rub them with a Qtip to remove the suspected dust. On lasers with glass lenses, it has never been an issue before.

However, after cleaning the lens of this bad boy with the Qtip, it is acting as if it has a plastic lens, and is showing the imperfections around the dot that an experienced hobbyist recognizes is the result of micro abrasions in the surface of a plastic lens.

So, all that being said:

•Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing the plastic lens?

•How feasible would it be to dismantle the pointer and replace the plastic lens with a hobbyist lens assembly?​

The ultimate goal is low divergence, OEM appearance, a quality beam profile (which should NOT be hard to improve on over stock) and a glass lens that facilitates ease of cleaning.

Thanks all!

My email to Dragon (as part of a pre existing email chain):

Adam,

Could you please verify for me the type of lens used in this laser?

I’ve been using CNI products since 1998, and thus far, every laser that I’ve received has had a glass lens in it. I moved forward under the assumption that this one would be the same. However, it appears as though this laser in fact has a plastic lens. By using the typical cleaning method for glass lenses of gently wiping them with a clean, soft microfiber cloth or cotton swab appears to have caused microabrasions in the lens of this laser, consistent with it being plastic.

If in fact the lens in this laser is plastic, how can I go about fixing this problem? Are there replacement lenses available, preferably glass?

I’d GREATLY appreciate any help you could provide in this matter.

Thank you,

Rob

I'm pretty sure ultimatekaiser has torn down some CNI handhelds. If he doesn't see this thread it might be worth shooting him a PM.

Figured I should update this.

All I really wanted from DL was a new lens. I didn't want to be bothered with shipping it off: the idea of paying to ship it back was particularly unappealing with how cheap this laser was.

Even so though, DL was ALL OVER replacing this laser and sending me a new one, even though I said right there in the email that *I* am directly responsible for causing the problem. I declined to send it back, but I am EXTREMELY happy with the service that they offered. I can't complain at all. These guys stood by their product 100% :)

Figured I should update this.

All I really wanted from DL was a new lens. I didn't want to be bothered with shipping it off: the idea of paying to ship it back was particularly unappealing with how cheap this laser was.

Even so though, DL was ALL OVER replacing this laser and sending me a new one, even though I said right there in the email that *I* am directly responsible for causing the problem. I declined to send it back, but I am EXTREMELY happy with the service that they offered. I can't complain at all. These guys stood by their product 100% :)

Clarification needed: A new one with or without a glass lens?

They insist that it has a glass lens. I believe it.

I ended up getting the same marks on my Aurora that I know has a glass lens with the same cotton swabs, but was able to get them off with a lens pen. The lens pen won't fit into the 635 though. When I realized this, it was the main motivation for deciding not to bother with sending it back.

When I realized this, it was the main motivation for deciding not to bother with sending it back.

Plus shipping would be crazy expensive! You're looking at $120 for shipping both ways(that's if you used FedEx Intl Priority) :eek:

-Alex

Plus shipping would be crazy expensive! You're looking at $120 for shipping both ways(that's if you used FedEx Intl Priority) :eek:

-Alex

Exactly. Though to be fair, I would have only had to pay shipping going out. They'd have covered their half to send it back to me.