Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CANCELED CNI 30mW 589nm Module Group Buy

Datasheet:
n76j9Pa.png

Pricing (minimum order of 10 units)
PGL-VI-1-589 30mW
1pc: $580.00/pc;
10 pcs: $ 490.00/pc;

Other power levels:
80mW PGL-H1-589
1pc: $1000/pc
10pcs: $870/pc

20mW
1pc: $520.00/pc
10 pcs: $ 445.00/pc

1-10mW
1pc: $490.00/pc;
10 pcs: $ 420.00/pc;

Shipping from China $110
Import Duty 25%
Module cost only not including PayPal fees and shipping to each person for 30mw ~$623.50

This price does not include shipping, the host, or host assembly costs. I have spoken with lifetime17 to provide hosts and assembly for these modules. We have not come up with a final design, or pricing yet. The host will either use 2xAA or 2xC batteries as the modules run on 3V. If you just want the module that's fine too, just let me know.

First come first serve, I will test the completed lasers before sending them out and first people in line get their choice first.

The plan is to aim for a total cost of no more than $750 per completed laser. But this will likely be lower depending on how intricate the host is, how much shipping is from China etc. Up to you if you want to send the funds PayPal goods and services or friends and family. But if you do goods and services I will need approximately an extra 4% to cover the PayPal fees. The exact amount will be calculated prior to payment.

The plan how I am hoping this group buy will run
1. Find at least 10 people willing to participate
1a. Finalize pricing on shipping from China for a final price per module
2. Come up with a final host design everyone agrees with coordinating with lifetime17
3. Finalize pricing to compensate lifetime17
4. Payment sent to me for the modules+shipping from china
5. The modules will come to me and I will either send all of them to lifetime17 for assembly, or send 1 to make sure it's a good fit in the host, then he sends me the hosts and I assemble them or ship them disassembled depending on your preference.
6. Testing of each laser whether the bare module or completed laser depending on your preferences. I will provide an LPM graph with each laser.
7. Once you select which module you want based on the list, you send the final payment for the host/assembly/shipping and I ship the laser insured for the full value. If this is a problem Internationally due to taxes etc we can deal with that on a case by case basis.

If I am not trusted enough to run this that is OK, I will pass it onto someone that is. I just want a 589nm laser so I figured I would help some other people out along the way.

Please post here if you would like to be added to the list. Please do not ask to be added unless you are prepared to pay up to $750 for the completed laser. We cannot go below 10 for the final order, and I don't want to be stuck footing the bill if someone backs out and I am stuck with multiple lasers.

List:
Brendon7358
Ears and Eggs
Sowee7 (module only)
Luckinfutz (module only)

Last edited:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Count me in for one 30mW PGL-VI 589 and a host. I will have to get mine shipped unassembled though as I am in Canada and I cannot import complete portables over 5mW and not going to take any chance of this getting seized by customs.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Ah kinda bad timing. I'm getting a 3080 card for my pc for the next two months. Beautiful modules. Hope you guys can get enough buyers. If not then maybe another attempt at a later time.

Ah kinda bad timing. I'm getting a 3080 card for my pc for the next two months. Beautiful modules. Hope you guys can get enough buyers. If not then maybe another attempt at a later time.
If we cannot get 10 I will attempt to negotiate with CNI. If you really want one and could buy it within about 6 months I might be OK holding onto it for you until your ready. But I am not committing to that right now.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
If we cannot get 10 I will attempt to negotiate with CNI. If you really want one and could buy it within about 6 months I might be OK holding onto it for you until your ready. But I am not committing to that right now.
Thanks Brendon I might take you up on that offer. I gotta sit down and figure out my finances.

I'm kinda interested in one of the modules but not a host. Is the idea that it's a package deal?
If I were to be involved in this, I'd prefer no power testing before shipping. For example the lot could be randomized or pre-determined based on serial number (e.g. lowest to highest serial corresponds with order of joining the GB, numbers 1-10) so there is no playing favorites with the laser characteristics.
These 589 nm modules can vary a lot in peak power, average power, beam characteristics, etc., and I'd feel better about rolling the dice rather than leaving it to cherry-picking by the organizer. Just a thought.

I'm kinda interested in one of the modules but not a host. Is the idea that it's a package deal?
If I were to be involved in this, I'd prefer no power testing before shipping. For example the lot could be randomized or pre-determined based on serial number (e.g. lowest to highest serial corresponds with order of joining the GB, numbers 1-10) so there is no playing favorites with the laser characteristics.
These 589 nm modules can vary a lot in peak power, average power, beam characteristics, etc., and I'd feel better about rolling the dice rather than leaving it to cherry-picking by the organizer. Just a thought.
Yes you can do just the module. You would just pay the price for the module plus shipping to me from China and shipping to you from me. So $501 + whatever shipping from me to you costs and any PayPal fees. I will see what other people's options are on testing. I figured an added benefit of that is I can make sure they are stable and if there are any outliers I can take that up with CNI before sending it to you as they come with a warranty. I don't imagine the differences between them will be super significant especially considering they will most likely be from all the same batch.

Encap

Count me in for one 30mW PGL-VI 589 and a host. I will have to get mine shipped unassembled though as I am in Canada and I cannot import complete portables over 5mW and not going to take any chance of this getting seized by customs.
Be very careful.. You can't even import a "kit or transfer one even for free within Canada that will make a complete laser over 5mW. Canada is very strict about it all.

See what Justin at Laserglow has posted here about same: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/canadian-restrictions-on-portable-lasers-official-info-release-from-laserglow.73129/

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Be very careful.. You can't even import a "kit or transfer one even for free within Canada that will make a complete laser over 5mW. Canada is very strict about it all.

See what Justin at Laserglow has posted here about same: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/canadian-restrictions-on-portable-lasers-official-info-release-from-laserglow.73129/

Thanks for the clarification. I should have worded it a bit more clearly. I'd have to have the host and module shipped completely separately, in different packages. I believe I am okay importing OEM components in completely separate shipments as long as I do the build myself and never give/sell/transfer it to someone else. (Ps. I am not a lawyer, if I am wrong here, I would just forgo the host).

Yes you can do just the module. You would just pay the price for the module plus shipping to me from China and shipping to you from me. So $501 + whatever shipping from me to you costs and any PayPal fees. I will see what other people's options are on testing. I figured an added benefit of that is I can make sure they are stable and if there are any outliers I can take that up with CNI before sending it to you as they come with a warranty. I don't imagine the differences between them will be super significant especially considering they will most likely be from all the same batch.
Yeah, I hear you. I think verifying operation is a good thing to do.
One other thing worth looking into - when I purchased a CNI 30 mW 589 nm module a few years ago, the import fees were like 30% the cost of the item. This is a significant cost at $500 / unit. So whatever shipping method is arranged, it will be important to determine what the import fees will end up costing before the purchase is made and money is exchanged. The import fees are not refundable and will be billed to the importer.

Thanks for the clarification. I should have worded it a bit more clearly. I'd have to have the host and module shipped completely separately, in different packages. I believe I am okay importing OEM components in completely separate shipments as long as I do the build myself and never give/sell/transfer it to someone else. (Ps. I am not a lawyer, if I am wrong here, I would just forgo the host).

You can have laboratory lasers over 5mw....right ?
So you are ordering a component for your own laboratory/scientific device not to be sold.

Looks like the prohibition is around it being " hand held " so a portable ( battery powered ) laboratory laser should be ok

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Based on what was said by LaserGlow, my understanding is that it's only portable, battery operated lasers that this applies to. Lab lasers, bare diodes, industrial Co2 tubes, etc are not effected.

This restriction applies to "portable lasers", which we take to mean lasers with a battery compartment. Lab lasers and alignment lasers are not affected.....

....The regulations pertain to consumer product safety, not possession, so if you build it yourself and never give it to anybody else then the regulations cannot apply to you.

Sounds good to me Ears, maybe you want to put it in a housing other than a flashlight style as I'm certain you will be using it as a scientific atmospheric study device or something, here's one I made long ago, but I'm sure you can come you with something much nicer, maybe a long square body with tiny rubber feet on one surface ?

SANY6573.JPG

Yeah, I hear you. I think verifying operation is a good thing to do.
One other thing worth looking into - when I purchased a CNI 30 mW 589 nm module a few years ago, the import fees were like 30% the cost of the item. This is a significant cost at $500 / unit. So whatever shipping method is arranged, it will be important to determine what the import fees will end up costing before the purchase is made and money is exchanged. The import fees are not refundable and will be billed to the importer.
OK, thank you. Import fees are not something I considered. Unfortunately however much that ends up costing will have to be passed onto each buyer. Did you want me to add you to the list for a module?

I really don't think the Canadian customs issue will be a very big concern. It's only a module not a handheld. In addition to that it's only 30mW. Not that they would have any way of knowing that as they won't be able to test it without knowing the operating voltage. And even if they did unless they have an LPM it's not going to look very powerful only being 30mW. It's also small only 15mm diameter about the size of a AA battery so it doesn't look dangerous. Now a big chonky 1W 445nm module might be a bit more of a concern, but even then it wouldn't be a completed unit.

If there is sufficient interest, I got a quote for the PGL-H1-589 module 80mW. $1000/pc or $870/pc for 10. But that is probably prohibitively expensive for most people.

Spoke with CNI, import cost is 25%. Updated first post to reflect cost for just the module with shipping and import costs included.

Last edited:

xun

OK, thank you. Import fees are not something I considered. Unfortunately however much that ends up costing will have to be passed onto each buyer. Did you want me to add you to the list for a module?

I really don't think the Canadian customs issue will be a very big concern. It's only a module not a handheld. In addition to that it's only 30mW. Not that they would have any way of knowing that as they won't be able to test it without knowing the operating voltage. And even if they did unless they have an LPM it's not going to look very powerful only being 30mW. It's also small only 15mm diameter about the size of a AA battery so it doesn't look dangerous. Now a big chonky 1W 445nm module might be a bit more of a concern, but even then it wouldn't be a completed unit.

If there is sufficient interest, I got a quote for the PGL-H1-589 module 80mW. $1000/pc or $870/pc for 10. But that is probably prohibitively expensive for most people.

Spoke with CNI, import cost is 25%. Updated first post to reflect cost for just the module with shipping and import costs included.

Aw man, I just ordered one of these PGL-H1-589s by myself before finding this forum. I could've gone in on the group order.

I have no idea what I'm doing though, hopefully I can figure it out