Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Chromatix CMX-4/IR Pulsed Dye Laser

In the title I bought this laser (I think it is a laser) I was wondering if anyone here knows what this laser is. Is the laser in the hand piece? or is the laser in the base unit. thank you so much for any information I tried to post a picture but this site makes it hard and I am not a computer savvy person and will end up throwing this computer out the window. Sorry

Last edited:

Could a moderator help me and move this thread to General I posted in here by mistake thank you so much

Hmm, can't seem to find much info on the web; do you have the laser in your possession yet? If so, can you pop the cover off and take a look inside? As long as there are no wires or anything attached to it, taking the cover off shouldn't hurt the laser.

If I had to guess, the "IR" in the model name likely suggests that, well, it's an IR laser. Judging by the pictures in the original listing, you're going to need an external trigger to fire the laser, and in the close-up shot of the "handheld piece," it appears to have some sort of fractured optical element in it (not good). If this video is any indication, you're going to need some extra equipment to get this thing lasing, namely some HV equipment, a trigger, and a dye circulator.

However, if it is by chance a complete, self-contained unit, you're still going to need to find out what dyes it's compatible with. Again, as the "IR" in the model name would suggest, this laser is likely made to lase with infrared dyes, which complicates things.

Can't really extrapolate any more than that without a look at the inside of the thing. Keep in mind that everything in this post is purely speculation, and should not be regarded as advice, but rather some things to keep in the back of your mind. We can come to some more reliable conclusions when we have some more info on the laser. :)

Last edited:

Encap

Have a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbHNhpxyWiM

The performance of the CMX-4 is capable of producing up to 10kW peak power and 300 mW average power in the visible portion of the Spectrum.
The CMX-4 utilize a linear flashlamp in a close coupled elliptical cavity to ensure maximum energy transfert from the flashlamp to the flowing dye.
The flashlamp is powered by a 0.5 uF capacitor Under 8 to 14 kV.
The energy per pulse with Rhodamin 6G is 6mJ in 1.6 microsecond.
Tuning rang with 4 different dye is 435 to 730nm
Bandwidth 3cm-1
With ETALON 0.15 cm-1
Repetition rate 5 to 30 pulses per second

Thank you all for your replies. I will post pictures of it when it gets here. Also I need to figure out how to make pics smaller to fit on here. and I am sorry for posting in this forum and if a moderator wants to move it to General I would appreciate it can't wait to get this laser

Thank you all for your replies. I will post pictures of it when it gets here. Also I need to figure out how to make pics smaller to fit on here. and I am sorry for posting in this forum and if a moderator wants to move it to General I would appreciate it can't wait to get this laser

Sounds good! :beer:

There are plenty of pic resizing tools available on the internet for free, this one's my personal favorite: picresize.com

Encap

Last edited: