Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Chinese Dept Store 20K kit

Father christmas has delivered my 20k scanner kit, but as usually seems to be the case there is not a single scrap of info on how to connect or tune the system.  The manual download from the store site is useless as the connections shown are nothing like the layout on the delivered boards. Not helped by what is there is in Chinglish.

My questions are, has anyone else got the 20k set? have you found out how to connect the 2 ILD cables, (do they connect to a computer to run polescan for instance?) Do you have any further info that may be of use

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards rog8811

*Update, I have identified some of the smt components on the back of the DMX pcb I have a dual 8bit dac! it looks like this kit is capable of computer driven graphics (you would think the sellers would list that as a very good selling point).

It looks like I may have a spare DAC on my hands as I have built Norm's DAC to go with this.........I am still looking for info on which sockets the ILDA cables plug into, so any help appreciated.

Regards rog8811

Here's the links from lasershowparts for both 20k scanner sets

Thanks for that FokoP, the one I have is substantially different though. I spent hours on google last night, looked at dozens of PDF's, none of which looked like my set.

I have now decided that the only way to find out how to do this is.... to do this! :)

I am going to connect it up and see if I can control it from my computer...I will update in a few days.....maybe :-/

Regards rog8811

I decided not to do anything too clever to start with, so I connected all the bits that arrived in the kit. I set DIL switch 1 to on (self motivation) and powered it up. That should have set the galvo's in motion with the preset program.......... Nothing, until I turned the power off then both galvo's flicked back and forth once

I have checked for +/-24 v out of the PSU and, as the heatsinks on the galvo drive unit get warm after a while, it is getting to regulators.

There are 2 LED connectors on the DMX/blanking board, one for power on, the other says "work". (which I assume means signal present), I attached an LED to both and both light up, so power is on to the DMX/blanking board.

Other that the mains lead, DIL switch ribbon, and galvo connectors everything was already joined up when it arrived. I have made sure that all plugs are fully home and am now needing help as I don't know what to check next. Any ideas please?

Regards rog8811

FokoF

Where's andy! he seems too know a lot more than i do :D PM him sure he would help you out

I banged off an e-mail to the CDS, I have had an e-mail back to say the office is closed but when the guy gets back in he will send me the info I need.

It seems that this is a brand new design and it needs to be connected to a parallel port to work, in other words no stand alone (not too sure that that is such a good idea) It begs the question as to whether it should come with some software.

I will keep you posted but in the meantime things are on hold.

Regards rog8811

FokoF

Do you mean it comes with a built in DAC? yeah please post some pics

Here you go then, a couple of work in progress pici's.

They don't show thw optical bench as that is no where near finished. All I have so far is a DX greenie resting on a box :)

Another to follow.

Attachments

• In-case03sm.jpg
    In-case03sm.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 134
No LD drivers or modules at the moment but plenty of room to fit everything.

Still a long way to go.....all hinging on CDS giving me the info on configuring the set-up.

Regards rog8811

Attachments

• In-case04sm.jpg
    In-case04sm.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 131

FokoF

So it comes with a DAC built into the DMX board? or is it just parrellel port controlled DMX?

thats a nice well insulated box. should keep your scanners nice and warm ;)

So it comes with a DAC built into the DMX board? or is it just parrellel port controlled DMX?

Yep Dual 8 bit DAC....I just need to find out what it will do. :)

@ Andy, It will keep my greenie warm for start up ;).....There will be a fan in there to keep temp under control.

Regards rog8811

I was aluding to the fact that until warm DX modules are dimmer than a dim thing in a brightly lit room :)

I am going to shroud the electronics with an aluminium cover ducted to direct airflow from the fan across the PSU and out past the galvo driver heat sink to keep it all cool.

Regards rog8811