Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

China Laser Pointer 3000mw Legit?

johnnyyyyyyyyyyyyy

staying in shanghai. saw laser pointer 3000mw and one 5000mw. costing $15 and $25. i don't think this is legit, laser pointers this powerful come into the hundred. i've seen the beam it seems strong but not to the power of 3000mw? what should i expect?

webdev77

They are probably 30mW and 50mW lasers that are underspec and have rather shady/cheap components. There is no possible way there are 3W or 5W since that would be extremely dangerous to sell for such low prices (200mW+ can easily burn things). You can expect to see the beam at night or dark areas, but aside from that, there are absolutely no guarantees. A laser power meter is needed to check if they are considered to be of a safe power or not so you know whether safety glasses are needed or not.

Cel

staying in shanghai. saw laser pointer 3000mw and one 5000mw. costing $15 and $25. i don't think this is legit, laser pointers this powerful come into the hundred. i've seen the beam it seems strong but not to the power of 3000mw? what should i expect?
Lasers of that power come into tens of thousands...

You should expect 20-50mw, but there is an e-bay seller that has quite good greenies and blu-rays for 4,5$...

kommed133

These pens will most definitely not have anywhere near that strong of an output. You can expect an output 100mW if not less. The components required to produce a unit capable of their stated outputs would be a lot more than $25