Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

checkout what KD is offering

Blord

Is that good ? I am not very familiar with the Luminus SBT-90 :p
I will do some research on the led.

Looks interesting, but a little expensive... Have you had a look at the XM-L2 T6's you can get up to 1800 Lumens (with copper sinkpad) at 6 A and they only cost $5.50! ;) The XM-L2 U2's are even better and have just arrived at Illumination Supply:beer:

Looks interesting, but a little expensive... Have you had a look at the XM-L2 T6's you can get up to 1800 Lumens (with copper sinkpad) at 6 A and they only cost $5.50! ;) The XM-L2 U2's are even better and have just arrived at Illumination Supply:beer:
MY saik thread in this sub forum has the XM L2 U2 a little better than the T6.... not by anyone here's standards.

http://kaidomain.com/product/Details.S021429 < this one is a bit more interesting, imo.

I think it is rather inefficient due to the way they shaped the emitting area, but the benefit is the basically circular emitting area. Reckon would play nicely with an aspheric for those who dislike square die images.
A thread in one of the flashlight forums has a dedomed sst 90 with aspherics and I don't know if it was the camera, but with the flatness of the emitter really worked well with lens. I'll look for it when I get to a PC.

LaZeRz

1800 lumens from a xml-t6? Doubt it.

An XML2 reflowed to a copper sinkpad which was then thermally glued to a chunk of copper reached about 1750 lumens at 6.2 amps. At currents like these the xml2's will be producing much more heat than a SBT-90 running at recommended current. ;)

MY saik thread in this sub forum has the XM L2 U2 a little better than the T6.... not by anyone here's standards.

Hey Jander, your post had an XML U2 not an XM-L2 U2...The XM-L2 T6 is supposed to be equivalent to the XML U3, so the XM-L2 U2 will be more powerful. They say there can be a up to 20% increase in efficiency between bins and there is a 2 bin difference here. :beer:

1800 lumens from a xml-t6? Doubt it.

An XML2 re-flowed to a copper sink pad which was then thermally glued to a chunk of copper reached about 1750 lumens at 6.2 amps. At currents like these the xml2's will be producing much more heat than a SBT-90 running at recommended current. ;)

Not sure if I can link it here(?), but here is a pic of the graph from the XML T6 from Match on a copper sink pad, don't forget we are dealing with the XM-L2 U2 now!;) So several bins more...

xml2copper.jpg

Anyway for the T6 it is around 1770 lumens at 6.2 A so for the L2 U2 it would more than likely be much higher! ;)

You're right about the heat though and you'd need some good heat sinking, but you wouldn't have as many problems with a 9 A current through the switch and host and all the problems associated with the voltage drop...I just built an XML T6 with an AMC driver modded with extra chips to run at 4.5 A and without seriously beefing up the switch I could only get 3.6 A to flow through it...:beer:

Edit: I have ordered a couple of XM-L2 U2's and some Cu sink pads, so Ill do a comparison and post the results compared to my T6's. Im really curious to see the difference and it also sounds like there might be some interest!;)

Last edited:

LaZeRz

Hey Jander, your post had an XML U2 not an XM-L2 U2...The XM-L2 T6 is supposed to be equivalent to the XML U3, so the XM-L2 U2 will be more powerful. They say there can be a up to 20% increase in efficiency between bins and there is a 2 bin difference here. :beer:

Not sure if I can link it here(?), but here is a pic of the graph from the XML T6 from Match on a copper sink pad, don't forget we are dealing with the XM-L2 U2 now!;) So several bins more...

xml2copper.jpg

Anyway for the T6 it is around 1770 lumens at 6.2 A so for the L2 U2 it would more than likely be much higher! ;)

You're right about the heat though and you'd need some good heat sinking, but you wouldn't have as many problems with a 9 A current through the switch and host and all the problems associated with the voltage drop...I just built an XML T6 with an AMC driver modded with extra chips to run at 4.5 A and without seriously beefing up the switch I could only get 3.6 A to flow through it...:beer:

Edit: I have ordered a couple of XM-L2 U2's and some Cu sink pads, so Ill do a comparison and post the results compared to my T6's. Im really curious to see the difference and it also sounds like there might be some interest!;)

I think you're accidentally referring to xm-l2's as XM-L's. The graph that you posted and that I referred to in my first post is of an XM-L2 T6 which has a much higher efficiency than the series 1 XM-L T6. A series 1 XM-L T6 running at 6.2 amps would roast itself and start experience tint shifting. It's all good, simple mistake :)

I agree that lower amperage for a similar amount of lumens is preferable but it really depends on how you heat sink your emitter. To be able to run an xm-l2 at 6 amps for over a minute you would need a sinkpad mounted to a fairly large copper slug. If you've got all that sorted out the xm-l2 is the superior emitter as it has a smaller emitting surface and more efficiency.

Really interested in the results of an XM-L2 u2 mounted on a sinkpad. I'm ordering an xm-l thrower and thinking about upgrading the XML-U2 with an XM-L2 U2 on a sinkpad :)

Ah sorry dont know how that snuck into my reply; the graph is the U2 T6... Actually wrote it correctly first time...;)

Yeah I was simply pointing out that you need considerably less current for a similar efficiency, as 1750 (or even 1770) lumens is pretty close to 1800. :p Anyway, the diodes with sink pad will also only set you back $7 - $10 as opposed to $45!!

I will let you know the moment Ive got the diode on to the sink pad! Tracking currently shows the L2 U2 in limbo between the US and Europe.:) :beer:

xml2copper.jpg

Look at the emitter it uses the white ceramic board... thats a new trait of the XM-L2-U2;)

IMAG0182_zps0384dfdd.jpg

Guess I shouldn't be in such a rush and have my morning coffee before replying! ;) Have you thought about upping the current from 2.23A? It would seem a little under driven...:)

Anyway Ill update with the L2 U2 at 6 ish amps on a copper board when I get it sorted out. :beer:

Last edited:
Guess I shouldn't be in such a rush and have my morning coffee before replying! ;) Have you thought about upping the current from 2.23A? It would seem a little under driven...:)

Anyway Ill update with the L2 U2 at 6 ish amps on a copper board when I get it sorted out. :beer:

No worries man, a lot of XM this and XL that. I wanted to use the stock driver in the sAik, and well, it is bright enough for now I would not push these over 3.5A ever. I want the emitter to live a long life:wave: I have a build comming up soon that will use these and will see what happens:p

Blord

Ah it is the SST-90 led. I didn't recognize it. :D
Delivering 9A on this LED is a daunting task. The highest I can get is 4-5A direct drive on a XML led on a copper Sinkpad.

Sinkpad.jpg

My O'light SR 90 is using this LED aswell :) hench the name.

It's tech sheet say's:
Luminus Phlatlight SST-90 LED, 30W, lifetime 60,000 hours.
6 x18650 (7.2v, 6.6A)

Last edited:
Ah it is the SST-90 led. I didn't recognize it. :D[/IMG]

Yaya, same LED, different primary optic. Went with flat glass for a smaller emitting area at cost of lower extraction efficiency, but will get better throw just for that, all secondary optics the same.