Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Check my CNC Etcher Setup

I'm working on building a CNC machine to burn away spray paint on a copper board. I know it's been done and there are posts all over about it, but was hoping I could get some feedback on my planned setup.
- I've got an M140 diode in copper module with the Aixiz glass lens on the way from DTR's laser shop (ebay posting).
- I plan on mounting this to a 5" x 5" aluminum back plate on my machine using this 20x27x50mm Aluminum Heatsink.
- I'll also have a 20mm PC fan blowing over the heatsink.
- I'm going to drive it using the fixed 1.25A diode driver from survival laser USA.
- I will power the driver with the 5V output of a computer power supply I've converted for bench top use.

Is this enough heatsink for this laser diode at essentially 1.25A, 4.4V, 5.5W Input? Any suggestions or data sheets on duty cycle for this laser running at this power? Thanks for any advice.

Get the m140 diode directly from dtr's store. It's much cheaper than getting from his ebay store.

Get the m140 diode directly from dtr's store. It's much cheaper than getting from his ebay store.

I actually did. He just doesn't have all the test images on his site from what I can tell. Thanks. Any recommended duty cycle for the M140 diode using the specified heat sink at 1.25 Amps?

Last edited:
I actually did. He just doesn't have all the test images on his site from what I can tell. Thanks. Any recommended duty cycle for the M140 diode using the specified heat sink at 1.25 Amps?

It'll be fine.

Heatsink is rather small-ish but considering it'll be mounted on a bigger backplate and with forced air, it's good enough for etching runs, which aren't really 100% duty cycle anyway, etching doesn't take forever.

Just touch the heatsink after a run or two, see how it's doing, but if you're not doing 24/7 etching, it should be OK.

It'll be fine.

Heatsink is rather small-ish but considering it'll be mounted on a bigger backplate and with forced air, it's good enough for etching runs, which aren't really 100% duty cycle anyway, etching doesn't take forever.

Just touch the heatsink after a run or two, see how it's doing, but if you're not doing 24/7 etching, it should be OK.

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion. I will update as I build here.

Last edited:
I finished mounting my laser to my CNC etching head the other day. I'm highly impressed with the output power and didn't notice any heat buildup with the short test runs I did. For now the fan is just sitting behind the module/plate, but I'm going to mount it to another aluminum plate and I'll join the 2 plates together to make my etch head. What do you think?

20150413_210848.jpg
20150413_210858.jpg
20150413_210342.jpg