Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap Laser Help

Hey im new to the forum and really liking this site!
also im new to lasers so bare with me.

I got a really cheap laser pointer (DealExtreme: $1.81 0.5mW Red Laser Pointer Pen (2*AAA)) the casing is high quality and built good, i was wondering if i could remove the guts and salvage as much as i can with it (like the case) and make it more powerful! (example: keeping the case and driver and replacing the diode with a 10mW - 100mW?) somewhere along those lines.
Thanks so much!:thanks:

It might be possible to squeeze another diode in there, but you would most likely need a new driver.

Can you get the inner diameter of the host?

Does the cap on the front unscrew?

I don't mean to be mean, but if you can't open it there is no way you will be able to build it from scratch. Pen builds are the hardest there are.

I suggest you look at jayrobs kits, or buy a already built laser.

They won't take that, but you can order a 200mW red from o-like for around 50-60 bucks and they usually don't get confiscated

ok then, thx.

back to my main question... I got the top off and see the diode now what?

now try to measure the inner diameter of the host. Use a ruler and measure the tube that holds the diode. It needs to be at least 12mm around inside for it to be used as a host. If it is any smaller, which it looks like it is, you will not be able to fit a new diode in there.

That is assuming this laser has the standard cheap open die red diodes most cheap lasers have.

Edit: just saw the picture on DX, there is no way to fit a new module in there, The only thing I can suggest now is to take the lens out so you can actually see the laser diode and tell me if it is a flat looking chip or a round can with a little glass window in it.

it looks like the can from the top i need to pull it out.
the laser can focus if that helps.

Well, I suggest unscrewing the lens all the way and going to the hardware store and finding a bolt that will thread into the module where the lens went. Then you can grab the module by that bolt and pull it out.

Either that or you can push on it from the back, but I don't suggest you do that because you can easily break the driver that way, not that you will be able to reuse it anyway!

Make sure you don't loose the button either.