Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap burner

For about $100 I've built an awesome burner!
M140 445nm 5.8mm diode (dtr)
1.8a softstart boost driver with polarity protection (ebay)
S4 host (survival lasers)
G2 lens (dtr)

All went together in 20-30 mins. This thing is fun, small yet powerful, loving this diode, very affordable. Should be getting 2+w (no lpm) running driver at 1.7ish amp. Hope to get a lpm soon, looking for one that measures at least 10w.

I would highly recommend entry level power seekers use this setup, save yourself some $ and get the satisfaction of diy.

Easily burns at a distance of 4 ft, instantly lights matches (not even a good test) why go through the wait involved with overseas orders? Normally get stuff from dtr/sl in 2-3 days.

GSS

Nice, its a good feeling isn't it! Thats all some need to hear that is not that hard and very self satisfying:beer:

:gj: I built something very similar for my first build also with parts from DTR and Survival Laser, it still works great after almost 3 years. How about posting some photos.

Alan

:gj: I built something very similar for my first build also with parts from DTR and Survival Laser, it still works great after almost 3 years. How about posting some photos.

Alan
Hi Alan, i am on my cellphone, i changed my view to light (mobile) and theres no option to change it back so I have lost lots of options including loading pics. Plan on picking up a laptop soon and will edit pics in then. This is not my first build, first one was a 150 mw 405 in a homemade host. I then built a nubm44 in sl host. Lots of diodes, drivers lenses etc. trickling in, lots of builds in my future. If someone knows how to change my view, the info would be greatly appreciated. Already tried logging out and clearing browser.

Nice.
Yes once you do one you will find it's no big deal, just do 1 thing at a time until your done.

Thing is, I saw the nubm44 stuff and just had to have one. I ordered a mx cree flashlight mod from taterslashers on ebay. Next day, won a auction for the same thing for $150. Taterslashers never shipped (due to illness I read here) and niether did the Chinese seller (one I won on auction) glad they didn't caused me to diy. Way cheaper ($230 or so nubm44/sl) and satisfying.

Also, I don't understand people not being able to solder as it is extremely easy for me. Seems as tho this is the main reason people do not diy.

Last edited:

Alan

Great looking build Alan, did you not use thermal compound? Man that stuff is messy! I really like the stainless survival host you used. Gonna order me one in the next day or so for a 520nm 7475 diode I have on order. Thanks for the link, enjoyed your build

-Danny

Did you ever get your money back from tater?

Yes and no, I messeged him repeatedly and never got a reply, so I opened a case and got a refund from pp. (This was before I read here he was sick). I really wanted that unit mainly because of the heatsink. Been looking at mini metal lathes and mini milling machines hoping to be able to afford something, May have to save up a while

GSS

Thing is, I saw the nubm44 stuff and just had to have one. I ordered a mx cree flashlight mod from taterslashers on ebay. Next day, won a auction for the same thing for $150. Taterslashers never shipped (due to illness I read here) and niether did the Chinese seller (one I won on auction) glad they didn't caused me to diy. Way cheaper ($230 or so nubm44/sl) and satisfying.

Also, I don't understand people not being able to solder as it is extremely easy for me. Seems as tho this is the main reason people do not diy.
My issue with soldering is I just don't have a steady hand. Its a hereditary little tremor that comes and goes and even with all the gizmo's and helping hands I just won't chance a tiny diode pin solder. Still though it shouldn't stop me from building more just about complete DIY projects. Plus alot of good members here have spoiled me:whistle::beer:

My issue with soldering is I just don't have a steady hand. Its a hereditary little tremor that comes and goes and even with all the gizmo's and helping hands I just won't chance a tiny diode pin solder. Still though it shouldn't stop me from building more just about complete DIY projects. Plus alot of good members here have spoiled me:whistle::beer:
Know what ya mean, I'll be fifty this year, on strong bloodpressure meds and a smoker, I'm pretty shakey myself. I use the bar on the helping hands to prop my iron on to steady me up. Takes a little time to set up but works pretty good. I sometime use two helping hands lol

Yes, brace your hands against your tables edge and just practice, there are tricks and although you don't want a cold solder joint, you also don't want to cook a diode like a plumbers fitting.

Just practice on some scraps and use solder with a short plastic state and rosin core, and low melting point, look for 63/37 solder, it melts at the lowest temp and solidifies rapidly.

Yes, brace your hands against your tables edge and just practice, there are tricks and although you don't want a cold solder joint, you also don't want to cook a diode like a plumbers fitting.

Just practice on some scraps and use solder with a short plastic state and rosin core, and low melting point, look for 63/37 solder, it melts at the lowest temp and solidifies rapidly.

Also, a well tinned "wet" tip makes all the difference

GSS

Know what ya mean, I'll be fifty this year, on strong bloodpressure meds and a smoker, I'm pretty shakey myself. I use the bar on the helping hands to prop my iron on to steady me up. Takes a little time to set up but works pretty good. I sometime use two helping hands lol
HaHa!! there we go what ever it takes, but still you can't tell me those little diode pins don't scare you:eek: Its funny how we do adapt and find a way at times. I don't really know why but I didn't see you being 50, not that I thought of it much lol. Hey i'm 53 and had this tremor from a child and never really went looking for answer's just lived with it I guess. Happy 50th coming up:)
Little add on there are plenty of great members here that always are there for the helping even something as a bit of diode soldering, its a nice feeling!

RedC thats good to know on that solder. I use that Harbor Freight Tools easy solder they have that comes in a little plastic tube, unless I hear something bad about using it, it seems to help a bit.

Last edited:
HaHa!! there we go what ever it takes, but still you can't tell me those little diode pins don't scare you:eek: Its funny how we do adapt and find a way at times. I don't really know why but I didn't see you being 50, not that I thought of it much lol. Hey i'm 53 and had this tremor from a child and never really went looking for answer's just lived with it I guess. Happy 50th coming up:)
Little add on there are plenty of great members here that always are there for the helping even something as a bit of diode soldering, its a nice feeling!

RedC thats good to know on that solder. I use that Harbor Freight Tools easy solder they have that comes in a little plastic tube, unless I hear something bad about using it, it seems to help a bit.

Thanks on the early bd wish, tryin to forget it lol. I use radioshack .015 dia silver bearing solder. Its about the dia of hair