Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap Blu-Ray Diodes Not Sleds !!!

awirq

Hello ,

I want to build a Blu-Ray Laser with a PS3 or XBOX 360 Diode and I saw the ones on PSXBOY , but its My soldering and desoldering skills isn't that good , So its going to be hard to remove the ribbon thing that soldered on the Diode Pins .

So I need help to find a site that sells Cheap Blu-Ray Diodes (Less than $40) or tell me an easy way to remove that ribbon from the Diode Pins .

*And a little question : Can I leave the round ribbon on the pins without removing or desoldering it?

Thanks ,
Awf

You want to make a DIY blu-ray... and you don't think you have the soldering skills to remove wires attached to pins?

Uh, no offense, but you should probably hold off on the project until you know how to solder :) DIY projects invariably require soldering, and if you can't solder well you are in a lot of trouble.

IgorT who is a professional electronics technician says he nuked 2 diodes when he first started because they are so sensitive to electricity. He said to start on a red diode first and then go to blue after your skills sharpen. I have decided to just spend my money on them and leave the work to those who have the time and expertise to make these beautiful devices.

If you want, and you're in the US, you can send them to me and I'll get the ribbons off for you and ship them back. All you gotta do is pay postage.

If you're not in the US, here's the best way to get them off. You actually need to ADD solder. The main reason the ribbon is so hard to get off is because its hard to get all the solder connections hot at the same time. So, you just add a bunch of solder until you have a big blob covering all three pins. Now, just heat that blob and the heat will transfer through to the three connections for the ribbon. While you're applying heat, slide a screwdriver under. After that I just use the screwdriver and the soldering iron itself to lift the ribbon. I use a pair of hemostats to hold the diode down as I lift.

Its a bit tricky at first, but after you do it a few times and get your technique down it is really easy. It takes me less than 30 seconds now to get everything off the back of the diode.

awirq

Murudai said:
You want to make a DIY blu-ray... and you don't think you have the soldering skills to remove wires attached to pins?

Uh, no offense, but you should probably hold off on the project until you know how to solder :) DIY projects invariably require soldering, and if you can't solder well you are in a lot of trouble.
You Are Right , but I think , you didn't understand me :)
I meant that its hard to REMOVE the RIBBON on the Diode PINS not , its hard to Solder New Wires , I know how to solder , but removing the ribbon on the pins from a new diode , is a little hard .

And You Are 100% Right !

Thanks ,
Awf

awirq

GooeyGus said:
If you want, and you're in the US, you can send them to me and I'll get the ribbons off for you and ship them back. All you gotta do is pay postage.

If you're not in the US, here's the best way to get them off. You actually need to ADD solder. The main reason the ribbon is so hard to get off is because its hard to get all the solder connections hot at the same time. So, you just add a bunch of solder until you have a big blob covering all three pins. Now, just heat that blob and the heat will transfer through to the three connections for the ribbon. While you're applying heat, slide a screwdriver under. After that I just use the screwdriver and the soldering iron itself to lift the ribbon. I use a pair of hemostats to hold the diode down as I lift.

Its a bit tricky at first, but after you do it a few times and get your technique down it is really easy. It takes me less than 30 seconds now to get everything off the back of the diode.
Wow ! Thanks man ! You Helped me alot , Unfortunetly im outside U.S. :( but its a good way :)

Thanks ,
Awf

Switch

I didn't find removing that thing harder than soldering wires to the diode. :p Have you already tried? Really , it's not that hard....

take the tip of ur tweezers(or something thin) and slide it between the ribbon and the diode. now take a blob of solder on ur iron and make sure it contacts all 3 pins and lift up with the tweezers. the ribbon should come off with out much problem. same as gus' suggestion but i use sharp tip tweezers.

IgorT

Awirq...

If you're not in a rush, i could probably spare a diode with wires and a cap attached to it for the same price i get them + shipping. Even in an AixiZ module, if you like.

Where are you from anyway?

BTW, the PCB on these really is hard to remove. On PS3 Blue Rays i just left the PCB on, because it makes soldering easier and safer, and doesn't obstruct mounting it into the AixiZ module..
Here, there are two PCBs with some space under each one, so i'm worried, that if i just used the "vice method", too much force would be transferred from the PCB to the three diode legs. Something inside could get ripped up. But it takes me a while to remove the PCB, because i don't want to heat it up too much. I partially mount it into the AixiZ module while doing this, so the heat can flow away. Leaving it in the heatsink is also an option.

I did kill my first two Blue Rays even after building several reds.. But it was winter and sparks were flying.. Now ESD is not so much of a problem.. I used a PSU to power the driver, and falsely assumed the diode would be safe with the cap and in the circuit. But the PSU provided a path to the ground for ESD, and when i went to reposition the module for a picture, it lost 3/4 of it's brightness.. I only use battery power since then.

The Blu Rays are MUCH more sturdy, than PS3 Blue Rays. But i still think a red is a better first project. At least the diode is cheaper. And they can take much more abuse.

IgorT

Or you could buy a diode in an AixiZ module from Hydro.. That would probably be faster.

You could probably ask him to add wires and a cap.

awirq

IgorT said:
Awirq...

If you're not in a rush, i could probably spare a diode with wires and a cap attached to it for the same price i get them + shipping. Even in an AixiZ module, if you like.

Where are you from anyway?

BTW, the PCB on these really is hard to remove. On PS3 Blue Rays i just left the PCB on, because it makes soldering easier and safer, and doesn't obstruct mounting it into the AixiZ module..
Here, there are two PCBs with some space under each one, so i'm worried, that if i just used the "vice method", too much force would be transferred from the PCB to the three diode legs. Something inside could get ripped up. But it takes me a while to remove the PCB, because i don't want to heat it up too much. I partially mount it into the AixiZ module while doing this, so the heat can flow away. Leaving it in the heatsink is also an option.

I did kill my first two Blue Rays even after building several reds.. But it was winter and sparks were flying.. Now ESD is not so much of a problem.. I used a PSU to power the driver, and falsely assumed the diode would be safe with the cap and in the circuit. But the PSU provided a path to the ground for ESD, and when i went to reposition the module for a picture, it lost 3/4 of it's brightness.. I only use battery power since then.

The Blu Rays are MUCH more sturdy, than PS3 Blue Rays. But i still think a red is a better first project. At least the diode is cheaper. And they can take much more abuse.
Thanks man ! you are the best ! can you send me the price in pm , and how much is shipping , and is it PS3 or PHR-803T ?

Btw I live in Jordan in Asia , you know it?

Thanks ,
Awf

Here is how i do it, I press fit the laser in a collimator ribbon cable and all, but leave the ribbon on to where the original drive board was. I use a pair of vice grips, a small nut, and a penny to protect the threaded face of the collimator; using this method i have had ZERO press fit failures at a rate of about 7 seconds a diode btw!

Then I attach a piece of masking tape to the ribbon cable tag end. I then use some double sticky tape to hold the diode/collimator down to a firm surface. Next I place a good glob of solder on a nice hot iron and touch it to glob together all five pins while pulling the strip.

WARNING! WORK FAST as these diodes are VERY sensitive to overheating!

The result is usable length leads nice and tinned. Alternately you can just leave the board on but trim off the excess ribbon cable. It doesn't hurt anything, and makes it a little easier to solder to. BUT- note that the solder used is indium tin, and using LEAD/TIN solders may cause brittle joints.

The diodes are FREAKESLY static sensitive, worse than 1st generation CMOS RAM!

Oh BTW i built a new batch of the dorcy blu-ray pointers!
have a look see at:

http://us.ten.ebid.net/perl/auction.cgi?auction=1212058986-7146-0&mo=auction

Attachments

• vl_pics.jpg
    vl_pics.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 217