Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap "anti green" goggles from focalprice / o-like

HIMNL9

Finally got the Focalprice "anti green" goggles that they sell for 7,99

These ones Professional Anti Green Laser Glassess $7.99 - Free Shipping , cause there are more than one.

They are exactly the same that o-like sell on their site, as "532nm green laser safety goggle", same working, same material, same style.

First impact was not excessively good ..... shipped in a simple plastic bag, no indication tags, cheap manufacturing and poor refinishing (but honestly, for a cheap product, is hard to ask for professional manufacturing) ..... the only real bad part, imho, is that they was shipped together with all the rest that i ordered, just "throwed in the envelope and sent" ..... luckily, i had no hard items with them, otherwise probably the lenses can't survive, so, as suggestion, if you want to buy one of these, order them alone, or at least not with other items that can break them if shipped in the same envelope without other package material.

At the moment, i'm at work, so only "quick visual tests", then, when i can made some measures, i post also them.

First, as good impresson, the lens looks just a piece of transparent red plastic, but have to be some sort of filter dye, cause, opposite of the normal red plastic, don't cause the usual "see-all-greeny" effect, when you keep them up for a while, and then take them away

That what i mean is, i have pair of goggles made with total filter for red (not studied for human sight), that left pass only 690 to 700nm, and if i wear it for 5 minutes, when i take it away, i see all "from blue to green" colored for some minutes, until the eyes recalibrate ..... wearing these goggles for 15 minutes, instead, only give a very light impression of blue, when i take them out, that pass very quickly, and this is usually due to good filtering dye in the material (this is subjective, but is still part of good vs bad filtering)

Second quick test, pointing my 50mW on a white paper in front of me, at 20 cm, wearing them, i can see only a very dim orange spot, instead the large and fastidious green spot that i can see at bare eyes, and absolutely no tracks of halo, around the spot ..... this looks as a decent attenuation factor, cause without them, i just can't look straight at the spot, without feel uncomfortable and have to partially close the eyes, and seeing lots of scatter, that instead through the goggles are absent ..... then i tried with the 150mW module, and the result was almost identical, a little more bright, but still dim, orange spot, no scatters, no halo (again, subjective test, different eyes can have different results, but the first impression is good)

attachment.php

I also tried to take some pics with the webcam and the 150mW module, and for have some valid comparison, turned off the AGC and auto-iris function, so the camera don't self-adapt to the brightness ..... number 1, green on white paper (gone in saturation, and the dark spot at the center is where the CCD gone in inversion (solarization) cause the light intensity was too much high) - number 2, same spot with the goggles in front of the webcam ..... but it look much more bright of that what i can see with my eyes ..... then i remembered that the module have no IR filter, and that my webcam see also IR, so repeated the pics putting an anti-IR in front of the module ..... pic 3, bare green (webcam still saturated, but no more solarization pixels) - pic 4, goggles in front of the webcam, much less bright than before, also if still more than that what i see with my eyes, but guess it's cause the webcam have anyway a different sensitivity than eyes.

So as first thing, need to considerate that these goggles can't block any IR from the DPSS modules (but, being declared for 370 to 560 nm, this was someway expected)

I also tried at sight with my BR module, a 6X diode at 200mA, and the spot is brighter than the one from the green module, but also for this, need some time for made some serious measures with LPM and filters ..... tomorrow or at least saturday, when i have time for this, i post also these results, that, after all, are the more important ones for eyes safety.

Anyway, as first result, can say that, also if these goggles don't seem enough for prolounged expositions at direct beam hit (thing that i don't have tried, anyway ..... sorry, but i have only 2 eyes, and i need both of them :p), can be efficent for accidental reflections from shining surfaces, for general protection working with IR filtered modules, and for experimenting / alignment work (always remembering the fact that they don't stop IR)

As soon as possible, also the test results, both with green and BR.

Attachments

• test-goggles-1.jpg
    test-goggles-1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,491

Krutz

promising, so far..

but hey, wait until the war about "but are your eyes only worth 8$ to you!!?!!eleven!!1!" starts again ;-)

cant wait for measurements with an LPM. will get them eventually, since they do what they promise: block 532nm light.

manuel

Benm

One thing that would be good to measure is with the goggles between the laser and the paper target, instead of in front of the camera. This can demostrate that the dye in the laser isnt saturable, which could be a problem taking a direct beam to the eye.

If they are plastic, you might burn through (like tape or a cd case) with a powerful laser, so its taking a risk there.

Grix

cant wait for measurements with an LPM.

Are LPM's able to meaure such low outputs? I can't see any green at all when lasing at these goggles, so I'm guessing there is less than 0.(0)1mW coming through after a 150mW laser.

HIMNL9

@Benm: sorry, i not posted it, cause it shows only the IR , and ofcourse, the one through the anti-IR filter, shows only the paper ..... this one is passing the beam through the lens, instead shoot at the paper through the lens (without anti-IR filter) ..... i defocused the 150mw module for do this, to a green spot 5 mm large, cause i not wanted to damage the lenses ..... no green at all, medium daylight condition, AGC turned off, same aperture of the previous pics

attachment.php

@ Grix: don't know, tomorrow i made the tests and say you ..... anyway, the more sensitive head that i have, can read with some precision only from 0.1mW to 200mW max, so if the power is less than that, i can't read it, or have to build something in the optical range (photodiode, not thermopile) ..... but then it have to be calibrated and so on, and actually i don't have at hands any decent broadband photodiode.

Attachments

• test-goggles-2.jpg
    test-goggles-2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 1,405

Grix

Well, if your meter can't measure the output, at least we know the goggles are safe for sure :D

HIMNL9

Ok, some more details, and some bad pics :p

Pics are bad, i'm sorry, but i only have two webcams, here ..... one do good pics, but have a too close lens, and can't take large field pics, the only other i have, that have a 6mm FL lens, is a crap 3$ webcam, and don't take colors correctly, don't know why.

Anyway ..... tried first the output power of the module, with stabilized power supply and heatsink ..... the probe looks strange just cause is strange :p , the open sensor is a 5W thermopile disk, that can't read correctly under 50mW, the other is a low power high sensibility thermopile, that can read til 0,1mW, but can't take more than 200mW (the shielding around it is just the back of an aixiz module, that i've painted matte black inside and screwed in front of it, for protect from surrounding light, otherwise the measure can't be accurate) ..... both the probes reads basically the same power ..... after thermal stabilization, without the IR filter, the more precise probe read 149,1mW, with the IR filter, it drop to 127,4mW (i accidentally deleted the pic with IR filter on, damn)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Through the lens, without the IR filter, it still read 19,7mW of IR passing through the lens, but as you can see in the pic, some of the IR becomes reflected around and out the probe aperture, so it must be something more ..... in fact, from the previous measures, must be 21,7mW, but this imprecision is my guilty ..... i defocused the module til the beam was approximatively 4mm, for avoid to burn the lens material (see the last pic, about that), so, having IR different focus than green, part becomed scattered and fall off from the probe hole :p

attachment.php

Then i put also IR filter on the module (changed also the angle of the camera, for take away that fastidious reflex), and the reading fall til 0,4 / 0,5 mW (unstable, it's almost at the limit of the probe) ..... anyway, considering the large size of the beam and the very low power that is passing through them, can say that for any accidental reflex, not directly focused on the lens, it's good enough.

attachment.php

As last test with the green module, i decided to sacrificate a corner of the lens, out from the direct view field, so refocused the module for 0,1 / 0,2mm at 5 cm, then tried to hit the lens, with short period expositions ..... when the beam is focused, hitting the lens, it immediately start to melt and smoke ..... as you can see here, pulses of approximatively 1 second, causes surface melting, where, keeping the beam on for 2 seconds, it start to seriously melt and go deep ..... i stopped at this point, can guess that keeping the beam so focused at a single point for 3 seconds or few more can easily pass through it, but, after all, it's not this the use for a safety goggle, right ? :p

attachment.php

I made also a pair of tests with a BR diode, pics in the next post, cause 8 pics limit.

Attachments

• test-goggles-3.jpg
    test-goggles-3.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 1,480
  • test-goggles-4.jpg
    test-goggles-4.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 1,447
  • test-goggles-5.jpg
    test-goggles-5.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 1,407
  • test-goggles-6.jpg
    test-goggles-6.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 1,393
  • test-goggles-7.jpg
    test-goggles-7.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 1,523

HIMNL9

Test with BR diode, it's a 6X from an SF-AW210 sled, in aixiz module, powered at 207mA, with a blu-ray glass aixiz lens assembly ..... beam still defocused, same as before, for not ruin the goggles.

At the direct measure, the probe read 177,2 mW (don't be fooled from the light blue color of the reflex, as i said, this webcam is crazy with the colors ..... it shows violet as light blue :p)

attachment.php

Putting the goggles between the laser and the probe, the reading falls to 0,7mW, that for me look as a good attenuation :)

attachment.php

At direct sight, it give the impression that it left pass much more light than with the green module, but must keep in mind that there's a lot, literally, of materials, that have pale or small fluorescence, so most of the light that you have the impression to see, is the fluorescence part from the target ..... so, for check this, i made the famous, MIT suggested and NASA approved :p :D "shoot-the-white-paper" test :na: ..... as you can see, in the last pics, without goggles, camera go in saturation, with goggles on the camera and beam hit straight the paper, you still can see a bright spot, more luminous than with the green, but putting the goggles in front of the laser and looking at the paper, no spots at all, or at least, seem don't pass enough UV also just for a pale fluorescence :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

All considered, it seem that these goggles can worth all the price you pay for them :p ..... jokes apart, they seem having a decent efficency, both for green than for BR ..... still i suggest to be cautious using them with unfiltered green modules, that put out IR, cause, as any red dye, they don't block IR, i can judge them good enough for normal work with modules, alignment and safety in general (but not for point direct beams in the eyes ..... anyway, about pointing directly high intensity beams in the eyes, i don't trust any goggles at all, even if cost thousand of $)

Attachments

• test-goggles-br-1.jpg
    test-goggles-br-1.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 1,387
  • test-goggles-br-2.jpg
    test-goggles-br-2.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 1,410
  • test-goggles-br-3.jpg
    test-goggles-br-3.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 1,393
  • test-goggles-br-4.jpg
    test-goggles-br-4.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 1,392
  • test-goggles-br-5.jpg
    test-goggles-br-5.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 1,399

ZRTMWA

Wow great work HIMNL9. I know some people might not trust cheap glasses but they seemed to hold up well. Couldn't you just buy two pairs, rip the lenses out and tape/glue them together? It seems like this method would provide more than enough filtering, and for less than $20

HIMNL9

^ yes, but also darken your vision a lot ..... a better thing may be find some anti-IR foil or flexible plate plastic, and put it over the goggles, so they can repair both from the green and the IR part of the DPSS modules, but at the moment, i have no idea about where to find it .....

People don't trust the cheap Googles simply because no one has any
specifications on them... an they have never really been tested..

Seeing these tests by Bryce007 and HIMNL9... assures the general
members that there is in fact some fair protection from these glasses..
I just purchased a few for any spectators that may come the shop...

Well done guys...:gj:

But remember... Certified Laser Safety Goggles are still the best
long term eye protection..

Jerry

Benm

Well, now they have been tested :)

As far as i can tell they hold up very well against 532, but the lack of IR protection is a risk, especially as you will not be blinded/blinking viewing a beam even straight into the eye.

Also, i like the IR picture on the paper, its probably also a good quick-and-dirty test for IR leakage using a digicam to see the result.

The melt tests are also promising: it shows that it keeps absorbing 532 even at very high power densities. You'll burn a whole through eventually, but thats to be expected of plastic goggles.

Krutz

nice test, thank you!

a piece of this googles plastic, combined with a webcam, seems to be a good way to judge IR leakage. will surely get me a few of these googles, as well as several IR filters!

Manuel

seoguy

Just a heads-up - I've been trying to order these from FocalPrice all this week, but the page for this product is missing!

Normally, this might indicate either that the product description/URL had changed, or the product had been discontinued. :cryyy:

But when I looked in the section this product appeared in to see if the URL had changed, I discovered that ALL of the over 1,500(?) products in that section of their web site (Other) had vaporized as well! :huh:

And when I tried to do a search for "anti-green" on their web site, I got a server error for the search option as well! :confused:

Not sure if they got hacked or what, but there are some serious issues with their web site right now!

I sent them an inquiry about this, and will let you all know what I find out from them about the availability of this product.

BTW, I am posting this heads-up in both of the recent review threads that cover / link to this product, but will likely provide more detailed follow-up information about this topic in the other thread here -

http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/oem-focalprice-laser-goggles-review-43134.html