Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap and Decent Taps, Drills, and Bores?

Hey everyone.

Now that I have access to the machine shop, I figure it is the time for me to start accumulating tools necessary.

Basically, I figure that the most basic of tools I will need are an M9x0.5 tap (and matching 8.5mm drill?), a 12mm drill bit, and maybe some boring tools in order to get a cleaner cut down the center.

So I am asking all of you machinists out there, where can I find some of these tools for good prices online? Hopefully, I am looking for things that can cut through aluminum and copper and will last.

Anyone have any suggestions for buying locations? I can't seem to find any good spots to get these tools.

EDIT: I figure I should also ask about finishing tools for these metals, maybe some good general cutting bits, etc.

Basically, I want you expert machinists to help me find where I can start growing my toolbit set!

Last edited:

Edit: Never mind. Thanks! Gave an offer for two.

With that, I suppose I could make press fit heatsinks, but how do I make it so that the press fit is closer to the top (so that the lens can go in the top) rather than the bottom? Do I make the heatsink two separate parts that attach?

EDIT 2:
In order to do the press fit... I can't drill it out, can I? Because a drill is tapered, and the press fit is very small in depth, so I would need to basically mill it in, yeah? Or I could use a cutting tool... how would I do that?

Last edited:
I use to have a drill bit which always cut the holes perfectly for press fit diodes.
but i have since lost the bit, and press fit is a PITA, so i don't bother any more.

rhd

I've never tapped a thread before. Is it possible to tap using a hand drill? It seems like you'd want to tap with a high torque, low speed drill - so perhaps this would be tricky ?

Not even thinking M9x0.5 - I'd love to just be able to tap set screws, or perhaps slightly larger threads for attaching heatsinks to aluminum bases I have already (for labbies).

Practically speaking, would I be able to tap an M5x0.8 thread with a hand drill?
5mm x .8 Metric Taper and Plug Tap M5 x 0.8mm Pitch | eBay

Last edited:
There are little chucks for DESIGNED for hand-tapping, and it's a good way of doing it.

And yes, that should let you tap that, but it will require LOTS of torque because it's a big tap... that, and the fact that you need to drill a starter hole first.

@Moh - I guess that, for security's sake, I should probably see if I can find a "flat pocket cutter" for precision press fitting? Then I could just drill out the central hole for the smaller part of the diode, yeah?

you can tap the threads by hand.
i do all the set screw holes by hand most of the time

You do the starting hole by hand drill and tapping by hand, unless you have a machine shop.

Oh neat - would you actually do that tapping by hand - or by hand drill?

EDIT: Sadly, they don't ship to Canada

You drill the hole with a drill or drill press, and tap by hand with that kit. I have never had a problem doing it that way.

Last edited:
yup it doesn't take a lot of force to tap into aluminum.

though if you have 50 or so pieces to tap your hands will get tired

You could use a forstner bit to give you a flat bottom of your hole
if you can find one small enough for your diode.
McMaster-Carr does not have any that small.

McMaster-Carr is a good company with lots of machinist's stuff.
They ship quickly and 'seem' to have cheap prices, yet I know very
little about about machining and pricing.
They do have a $20 min. purchase though.

McMaster-Carr

I bought a bunch of taps, dies and drills from them.
I wish I bought some cutting oil.. Anybody know what
would work well from places like homedepot or menards?

Hmm, forstners look cool. I will check 'em out. I'll also check out McMaster-Carr! Thanks for that :D