Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Chat system over at PL

Asherz

Just head over to PL for an occasional visit and they have a new cool chat system installed. I know we tried one of the public group chats on the home page over here but had to get rid of it because it was to resource intensive or something, but I think that the Facebook style chat system could work really well over here at LPF, it looks like a great feature. :)

PL = photonlexicon.com

The only thing I don't like about it is the annoying popups that appear every time someone is online or offline.. If we could have a system that doesn't include that little feature it would be awesome.

TheBrightSide has a shoutbox type thing at the bottom of the main page, the only gripe I would foresee is there's a slight sound whenever a new message is sent through.

daguin

The only thing I don't like about it is the annoying popups that appear every time someone is online or offline.. If we could have a system that doesn't include that little feature it would be awesome.

I wondered what that was from/for.

Peace,
dave

Yeah, we used to have a chatbox here but c0ld said it caused too much server load, dunno if there are any options available that are better but iirc it was mostly spammed with questions like HOW I MAKE LAZER TO BURN STUFF?

Yeah, imagine how someone like Jayrob would have to cope? He would get buggered every second with an inquiry or some other question.

I for one like to take my time when I answer questions.

Maybe that's why I ran out of time on my last physics test...

daguin

Yeah, imagine how someone like Jayrob would have to cope? He would get buggered every second with an inquiry or some other question.

People who do not deal with these types of questions often have no idea how much time is involved in answering them.

For example - This morning I answered an inquiry from a member who was having trouble soldering on a flexdrive without damaging the driver. By the time I wrote up instructions, went back through several times adding details that I missed the earlier times through, and proof-reading it, I had 20 minutes invested in just that one answer!

Most of those kind of "tests" don't actually measure "learning." They measure recall under pressure. ;)

Peace,
dave

Asherz

It is possible to set your status offline, so that way no one would get spammed out. I suppose a better alternative would be that the chat only registers with people in your friends list, which would give more reason to the current friend system as at the moment I don't think that has much of a purpose :)

Maby coldshadow should move hosts?
Its only a forum and with all the donations and ad money i would think he could get something better?
Id like a lpf chat:)
Maby host it away from this host but link it here on the frontpage?
Id be happy to make one for lpf.

Last edited: