Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Charging 10440 batteries

tkj

Hi.
Just recieved a used home-build 125mW Blue-Ray laser with batteries, and then I found out that it couldn't even ignite a match. Then I thought it might be a battery problem, so I measured the two 10440 batteries voltage, and one of them said 3.67V, but the other said 2.10V.

The problem is, that I don't know how to charge theese, as I think that's the problem why the laser won't ignite the match. Can I use a normal AAA charger?
If not, where can I buy a charger for theese batteries? Is that possible to buy in a normal shop in Denmark?

Best Regards
Thomas Jespersen

mfo

Hi.
Just recieved a used home-build 125mW Blue-Ray laser with batteries, and then I found out that it couldn't even ignite a match. Then I thought it might be a battery problem, so I measured the two 10440 batteries voltage, and one of them said 3.67V, but the other said 2.10V.

The problem is, that I don't know how to charge theese, as I think that's the problem why the laser won't ignite the match. Can I use a normal AAA charger?
If not, where can I buy a charger for theese batteries? Is that possible to buy in a normal shop in Denmark?

Best Regards
Thomas Jespersen

Hello. I will answer your questions in order.

1) No, AAA batteries and 10440 batteries have completely different voltages, so you can't use standard charger to charge the 10440's and vice versa.

2)Which driver are you using. I am assuming you are using the Rkcstr driver since you're trying to power it with 10440 batteries. If you're using the Rkcstr driver, no you can't power that diode with standard AAA batteries.

3) TrustFire MultiFunctional TR-001 Lithium Battery Charger [TrustFire] - $11.83 : High Tech DealZ, Simplifying the LASER Hobby!

Free shipping world wide. I hope this helps.

PS - The battery that is outputting 2.10 volts is most likely permanately damaged. Once they drop below a certain voltage, they can't be recharged so you'll need to get a few extra batteries too. You can also get them from hightechdealz if you look around.

Voltage on the 10440 should not be allowed to drop below 2.8V or so in order to avoid permenent damage to the battery by overdischarge. This battery may or may not be able to take a charge anymore. A fully charged 10440 will read about 4.2V . The chargers and batteries can be gotten from DX (dealextreme.com) for example. You should check 10440's voltage periodically, as they are not normally equipped with a protection circuit to prevent overcharge and overdischarge. Only recently have I seen protected 10440's.

tkj

I don't know which driver is inside!
But it would be great if I could buy this charger in Denmark, so it can reach me before New Year... Also, what is the difference on 10440 and 18650? I can see that the 18650 has 240 mAh so why not using that instead of the 10440 - is it's physical size bigger?

Hi man,
That is the batteries and charger you need. As I have said through pm, the laser worked fine before i shipped it (smoked my desktop, and lit matches as in the video). The battery is almost definatly the cause, but i dont see how it worked fine for me 5 mins before boxing it 0_o. The driver is a rkstr V3 i believe, although i never opened it to check. Hope this helps.

regards,

John

mfo

Yeah that's the charger. Get some extra 10440's also as your other one with the low voltage is most likely permanently damaged.

mfo

It includes 2 batteries too!

Ahh ok cool! Sorry I can't read German. Anyhow that's good that it comes with two batteries. I would also get another pair or two. It would be sad if you wanted to play with your laser and you had to wait to charge batteries :(

The battery is almost definatly the cause, but i dont see how it worked fine for me 5 mins before boxing it 0_o.

The battery could have shorted in transit, which caused it to deplete to such low voltages.

what is the difference on 10440 and 18650? I can see that the 18650 has 240 mAh so why not using that instead of the 10440 - is it's physical size bigger?

The 18650 is typically 2200mAh, not 240mAh. It is also much bigger, as it's name identifies that the battery is 18mm in diameter, and is 65.0mm long. Hence 18650. The 10440 is 10mm in diameter, and 44.0mm long.

It would be best not to use the depleted battery, and to use a new one if possible.

tkj

The battery could have shorted in transit, which caused it to deplete to such low voltages.

The 18650 is typically 2200mAh, not 240mAh. It is also much bigger, as it's name identifies that the battery is 18mm in diameter, and is 65.0mm long. Hence 18650. The 10440 is 10mm in diameter, and 44.0mm long.

It would be best not to use the depleted battery, and to use a new one if possible.
Of course I meant 2200mAh - sorry :D
The charger and batteries are now ordered, and I hope to recieve it soon... And to you romeo, I'm looking forward to test the laser, and see if it can do what you told/showed it could do!