Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Chaos in a plethora of hosts is the norm

Does it bother you to have non-matching hosts?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

icecruncher

Is it just me, or does it seem like everyone has a hodgepog of 20 DIFFERENT hosts to put their lasers diodes and green modules in? Maybe I'm too OCD or some might call it anal or whatever but personally I hate it.

You get a picture of someones "collection" and it looks like they closed their eyes and stuck their hand in a bin of flashlights pulling out whatever color and finish and style came up. Laser roulette.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

Obviously this doesn't apply to lab and hene's as they are breeds in and of themselves and I've got a couple MXDL's from when I started doing this. But they are old and I'm not doing them anymore.

But, That being said I've decided to attempt to limit the styles of hosts I build to 3. (We'll see how it goes)

1. Krytons (medium size/normal builds)- They are clean looking and work great.

2. The Maglite D cell. - (big builds) Phlatlight and long use - host will be around a while. Plus I love the Litegrip option.

3. Trustfire F23 - (small) rear clickie, perfect size to carry around.

The only other one I think I might consider is the basic pen style pointers. You can get them cheap and they are fun just to play with.

JBTexas

Hehehe... no, you're not the only one.

I'm a noob thinking of my first DIY, and I am overwhelmed from these threads.

Still....

I CAN say that heat dissipation -> better duty cycle? will be my first priority. Battery chemistry = second. Ease of build = third. Appearance = forth/last, as long as the laser doesn't look like DogTurds, or some form of futuristic plumbing.

Trevor

Heh, this is part of the reason why I don't do handheld DIY builds. I'm too OCD for it. :p

-Trevor

daguin

I like the challenge of making a new/different host work

Besides, who want to carry around a pocketful of Krytons ;)

Peace,
dave

JaiNobeZ

I can't see the appeal to having many the same. Like having lots of identical shirts. You can either have lots of different colour of button-up shirts with collars and cuffs, or you can have some button-up ones for when you're at school\work or formal events, some T-shirts for knocking around the house, long-sleeve tops for if it's cold...

I guess a matched set is nice if you're carrying them all at once in a briefcase, as it appears you do, but I generally keep them together and then look at the selection and decide on one which I feel like carrying that day. Sometimes i carry more than one, but generally they're not all put to use together in which case it's fine to have them different.

Although, similarly to how I like variety in my hosts, it's nice to have variety in the hobby and I like how you've decided to keep to only a few styles. But do you really think you won't be flicking through the forum one day and think "Wow! That's a really nice host! I want one!!" ?