Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

cast your own heat sink!

Would it be possible to, rather than machine an aluminum heat sink with a mill, cast your own with a mold and molten aluminum? I'm thinking make a mold out of wood or other material and just heat the aluminum and pour it in. Any thoughts?

Interesting idea, but I would have to say machining is a far easier and precise process...you would be surprised that with very few equipment the stuff ive seen people "machine".

thebucketmouse said:
Would it be possible to, rather than machine an aluminum heat sink with a mill, cast your own with a mold and molten aluminum? I'm thinking make a mold out of wood or other material and just heat the aluminum and pour it in. Any thoughts?

i already did this :)

but i made the mold out of 5 min epoxy,
the epoxy instantly caught fire when i poured the aluminum, but it still worked and i use it today ( plus i had to file the inside a little to make the aixiz module fit right.

it's not as pretty as machined heatsink, but it gets the job done.

this got me thinking... those butane torch lighters dx sells can melt aluminum.....
i'm going to have to try now ;D (couple in the mail)
sure crudely melted aluminum won't be the best, but i figure if its 80% efficient in absorbing the heat, thats better than nothing.

now to figure a way to make a diy mold that will work...

wannaburn said:
Not an easy process at all. I cast gold with a different setup, but jewler supplies may be a good route.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Craft-Vacuu...14&_trkparms=72:1326|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Oooh, jiggle springs included :eek:

I think something like this would be required if I were using a really intricate mold, but if I were just trying to pour it into a cylinder shaped heatsink mold, seems like I wouldn't have to have a vacuum to suck the aluminum into all the tiny corners.

FYI jayrob on this forum makes and sells aluminum cylindrical heatsinks machined from aluminum round stock. I think he can make one to fit any module.

Also on this page: http://www.z-bolt.com/MODIIIbg-green-laser-module.html you can find a great lab-style heatsink. Look in the list under the three green modules. It comes pre-drilled for a small fan, and is quite capable of cooling even the most high-powered diodes. Fits AixiZ modules perfectly, and can fit any module 12mm or less. Also it allows for 100% duty-cycle.

ElektroFreak said:
FYI jayrob on this forum makes and sells aluminum cylindrical heatsinks machined from aluminum round stock. I think he can make one to fit any module.

Also on this page: http://www.z-bolt.com/MODIIIbg-green-laser-module.html you can find a great lab-style heatsink. Look in the list under the three green modules. It comes pre-drilled for a small fan, and is quite capable of cooling even the most high-powered diodes. Fits AixiZ modules perfectly, and can fit any module 12mm or less. Also it allows for 100% duty-cycle.

Yeah, but much of this forum is based around DIY, rather than buying other people's products. I just think it would be fun to make your own heatsink.

Who are you to say what this forum is based around. Obviously you haven't read the User License Agreement, which specifically states the purpose of laserpointerforums.com. Do some research before you blabber away false information. You think it would be fun burning your face off because you don't have the right equipment to do the job at hand? Didn't think so. I don't know if you know, but the melting point of aluminum is around 930 Kelvins which relates to about 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. Wood combustion point is around 570 degrees Fahrenheit. If you think you are going to poor liquid aluminum into a pine mold, you're an idiot.

299792458_ms said:
Who are you to say what this forum is based around.  Obviously you haven't read the User License Agreement, which specifically states the purpose of laserpointerforums.com.  Do some research before you blabber away false information.  You think it would be fun burning your face off because you don't have the right equipment to do the job at hand?  Didn't think so.  I don't know if you know, but the melting point of aluminum is around 930 Kelvins which relates to about 1200 degrees Fahrenheit.  Wood combustion point is around 570 degrees Fahrenheit.  If you think you are going to poor liquid aluminum into a pine mold, you're an idiot.  

While I wouldn't have taken this tone to make the point, i do believe that this person is correct. Casting your own heatsink might be a little too much DIY. Some things are just easier to buy ready-made. Use your DIY skills for other facets of the hobby..

299792458_ms said:
You think it would be fun burning your face off because you don't have the right equipment to do the job at hand?  Didn't think so.  I don't know if you know, but the melting point of aluminum is around 930 Kelvins which relates to about 1200 degrees Fahrenheit.  Wood combustion point is around 570 degrees Fahrenheit.  If you think you are going to poor liquid aluminum into a pine mold, you're an idiot.  
ur76r4fq2uzqhe342vc36dqiq1.jpg

299792458_ms said:
Who are you to say what this forum is based around.  Obviously you haven't read the User License Agreement, which specifically states the purpose of laserpointerforums.com.  Do some research before you blabber away false information.  You think it would be fun burning your face off because you don't have the right equipment to do the job at hand?  Didn't think so.  I don't know if you know, but the melting point of aluminum is around 930 Kelvins which relates to about 1200 degrees Fahrenheit.  Wood combustion point is around 570 degrees Fahrenheit.  If you think you are going to poor liquid aluminum into a pine mold, you're an idiot.  
:eek:
Calling him an idiot is like the pot calling the kettle "black" You are the idiot for posting in that tone. Completely uncalled for! Especially being your first post. You need to contact your physician ASAP, you are seriously overdue for an increase in medication dosage!

Ted

Wow, that guy is a troll. First post. Anyway, I own a lead casting pot so it's not like I'm totally new to casting metal, I just have never made my own mold.

diachi

Pb is a lot different from Al, I've molded with Pb before using clay molds, it's easier to work with than Al as you need less heat and it's a much softer metal too.

You would probably be better machining your heatsinks as casting won't give the best fit either.

-Adam

Diachi said:
Pb is a lot different from Al, I've molded with Pb before using clay molds, it's easier to work with than Al as you need less heat and it's a much softer metal too.

You would probably be better machining your heatsinks as casting won't give the best fit either.

-Adam

Where can aluminum be bought in thick enough dimensions to make a heatsink? And about fitting it, I was just going to use a drill to make the hole for the module to fit in to.