Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can't make the diode work[help]

Hi. I'm in need of help, I've just wasted 6 22x diodes trying to do a laser pointer.

1) When I turn on the circuit (the capacitor is discharged, the diode was connected prior to the power source) it shines great, but then it dies, turns into a dim $1 laser. I'm measuring the current and it's around 150mA... Why?!

2) Can I try to introduce the diode into the module by instead of using a vice using a hammer with slightly hits? Can it damage the diode.

Regards

Hi. I'm in need of help, I've just wasted 6 22x diodes trying to do a laser pointer.

1) When I turn on the circuit (the capacitor is discharged, the diode was connected prior to the power source) it shines great, but then it dies, turns into a dim $1 laser. I'm measuring the current and it's around 150mA... Why?!

How are you measuring current? At the power input of the driver or at the diode? Are you using a dummy load?

2) Can I try to introduce the diode into the module by instead of using a vice using a hammer with slightly hits? Can it damage the diode.

Take a step back and reread what you just wrote. Does it sound like a good idea??

Regards

:undecided::undecided:

Last edited:
there are several people that sell pre installed in an aixis. I think if you use a hammer you will knock $hit loose on the die, killing it.So be carefull on that step of the build its critical

If nothing else you can set the diode in with a penny, a pair of vise grips, a #10 washer and a #10 nut to press it home, That's what I did before i got a miniature anvil press tool designed for this app.

Help us out here, what driver are you using and as already asked, how are you measuring the current/how did you set the current?

Regards rog8811

I'm using a DDL driver.
I'm measuring the current at the diode, between the driver and the diode.

Hope is enough info.

@razeman. i'll run interference on the test load situation. you should go to www.rog8811.com to find out how to make one. if you had the current tested and pre set before you installed the LD it would be easier to help troubleshoot your problem. also are you discharging the static electricity before you handle all the components?

Asherz

Sounds like your driver is f*cked up, Just buy a Rckstr or a flex drive, they cost like $25, last through several diodes and probably a lot cheap than the amount of diodes you've screwed up with your DDL.

GL.

Sounds like your driver is f*cked up, Just buy a Rckstr or a flex drive, they cost like $25, last through several diodes and probably a lot cheap than the amount of diodes you've screwed up with your DDL.

That is a very sweeping statement, do you have more information than the rest of us? If so what is F**ked about the driver?
There is nothing wrong with the DDL as long as you do a few simple steps.... in fact exactly the same steps you would use to set a Rkcstr up.

Regards rog8811

The driver it's itself well constructed, even, I did two drivers: one on a protoboard, another with soldering.

- @->chipdouglas: I think so, I touch some metallic stuff before touching it every time, like some paint less steel pliers or Aluminium foil. Is that the way to discharge yourself?

@rog8811: Thank you for your webpage, is comprehensive, easy navigable and complete, helped me, now i got a better design for veroboard soldering. I'll try the Test Load process.

like some paint less steel pliers or Aluminium foil. Is that the way to discharge yourself?
Sorry but no, you need to earth yourself, if you work near your computer loosen a screw in the back, wrap the bared end of a wire around it and do it up again. Bare the other end and wrap it around your wrist whilst handling your LD.

Regards rog8811

HIMNL9

Just touch the ground with a hand for a pair of seconds.

And no, i'm not joking, if you have tiles or concrete floor, just touch it, if you have some linoleum, gum, moquette, wood floor, just touch a cement wall, it's the same :)