Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can't import lasers > 5mW?

So I ordered a 20mW green laser, and apparently it was being shipped from out of the U.S. and the order was canceled because you can't import lasers > 5mW. Is there any way around this.

yes actually, you just have to do some research here and find out which companies will ship lasers over 5mW to the USA, the green laser and company sections are an excellent place to find this advice. ill get you started look into rayfoss.com

k thanks man. Do you happen to have a chart of how far the different mW lasers go. I mean how far away can I still see the dot on an object.

Last edited:
k thanks man. Do you happen to have a chart of how far the different mW lasers go. I mean how far away can I still see the dot on an object.
Short answer, MILES.
With a "true" 20mW, at least a mile or so.
Higher powers can leave earth's atmosphere, and theoretically travel forever.
There is a thread on this board, of someone spotting his 350mW 532nm at 35 miles. (using a telescope)

i dont know about the us, but anything ive tried to ship into australia has been seized regardless of where it comes from :yabbmad: (and we have a f**king >1mw ban over here)

Yeah that's what alot of people say. I was also able to get a 50mW instead of a 20.

LSRFAQ

Yeah that's what alot of people say. I was also able to get a 50mW instead of a 20.

Search for Yobraseal and Customs...

Sorry Yob, but you are the one documented case..

They do get seized from time to time..

Technically if it doesn't have a accession number and/or manufacturer's report on file, It should NOT get in the country.

Just sometimes Customs is a little too busy chasing bad Guys..

If you imported more then one it might just get their attention, and note the Custom's dec will often say something like LED FLASHLIGHT.. Not "HIGH POWER LASER"

A few pointer companies have done the paperwork..

But just try this with a 20,000$ lab laser in a huge crate... :)

Steve

G

genius5th

its hard getting anything overseas and some stuff slip through the cracks but Id rather get it from the US anyways