Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Canada laser laws?

Hello friends, i just have a few questions about lasers in Canada:

Is there a restriction on laser wattage? If so, what is it

What are the general laws around owning a high power laser?

Is it illegal to shine a laser in the sky with no aircraft's in the sky?

Thanks!:wave:

ScottW

Here are a couple sources to get you started.
LINK-->Hand-held lasers and laser pointers
LINK-->http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/canadian-restrictions-portable-lasers-official-info-release-laserglow-73129.html

And an example of what can happen when trying to get one shipped in from another country:
LINK-->http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/canada-customs-seized-my-laser-89303.html

You can find a bunch more using the SEARCH function, located near the bottom of just about every LPF page. :beer:

ARG

Limited to 5mW here. Not sure about the other questions.

Encap

With regard to your question "Is it illegal to shine a laser in the sky with no aircraft's in the sky?"
Transport Canada says:
"If you are planning on projecting a DBL(Directed Bright Light) source into navigable airspace, please complete a notice of proposal form"
See: Use Laser Pointers Safely and Legally - Transport Canada
Notice of Proposal form here: http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-standards/26-0754.pdf
Transport Canada also adds:
"If convicted of pointing a laser into an aircraft cockpit, the offender could face the $100,000 maximum fine under the Aeronautics Act, imprisonment of up to five years, or both penalties.
Transport Canada is working with various police authorities, other government departments, and the aviation industry to enforce this law."

Last edited:
Reactions: ARG
Is there a restriction on laser wattage? If so, what is it

Lasers in Canada are restricted to class II <1mW of power CW by emission.

What are the general laws around owning a high power laser?

Anyone posessing a laser above 1mW has it subject to confiscation and or fines depending on the situation as far as I know if they are in public. those already posessing higher power lasers in private for personal use, where they are used safely and nobody else is exposed to them the owner may keep, only on their own premesis as long as the light cannot escape into public.

Is it illegal to shine a laser in the sky with no aircraft's in the sky?

See above. and hitting an aircraft is subject to I think 5 years prison time and/or $100,000 in fines.

Basically from a legal standpoint it is Illegal for the general public to have lasers that are above 1mW basically. Except for industrial users that have a proven need for them, such as research labs. Period.

Reality is quite different however.

sources? Health Canada.

Last edited:
What about plugin lasers above 5 mW? Is that allowed?
i know i seen some sold on Canadian sites, but i dont know if customs allows it.

answered you in the other thread as well. Ultra lasers re sells CNI and is located in canada.