Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can we paint an invisible laser beam to make it visible?

odawnw

We have a 700nm laser diode for some specific use, however, now we need to use this laser diode for alignment, however, it's invisible.......

Some colleague come up with a solution that maybe we can color the laser beam with a special color or pigment to make it visible, ignoring any distorion or changes with the beam. But, when I search in google, all key words combining 'laser' and 'color' will all go to the page on laser printer......it's hard to narrow the result to my purpose. I have also consulted with a laser diode provider online, but they replied that it is NOT POSSIBLE to do it, but they don't explain why....I am so confused with this topic.

So I'm posting here, anybody knows sth. about coloring an invisible laser beam?

Thank you

gozert

You can't "paint" a laser beam. A laser beam is like sunlight, you can't just go and grab it and paint it. You can however set up crystals to change the wavelength of the light thus making it visible. How you would do this with a 700nm wavelength I do not know. Maybe someone else can give you a better answer.

Sta

A phone camera can see that wavelength quite easily. You may want to try that. Other than that solution, I don't believe it's possible to 'color' that wavelength.

Last edited:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
We have a 700nm laser diode for some specific use, however, now we need to use this laser diode for alignment, however, it's invisible.......

Some colleague come up with a solution that maybe we can color the laser beam with a special color or pigment to make it visible, ignoring any distorion or changes with the beam. But, when I search in google, all key words combining 'laser' and 'color' will all go to the page on laser printer......it's hard to narrow the result to my purpose. I have also consulted with a laser diode provider online, but they replied that it is NOT POSSIBLE to do it, but they don't explain why....I am so confused with this topic.

So I'm posting here, anybody knows sth. about coloring an invisible laser beam?

Thank you

How much power do you need for your alignment setup? Does it matter what color? It might be cheaper to just buy another laser. A low power red or green will not cost much. Would be easier than trying to change a diode's color.

There is no way to "paint" the beam, the 700nm diode itself can only produce invisible light. The only way to change the color is with several crystals (different depending on the input and output wavelengths), and I am not sure if any DPSS lasers can even use 700nm as a starting point.

Last edited:

odawnw

Thx, I will try to use the camera as well, it's a good suggestion

odawnw

You can't "paint" a laser beam. A laser beam is like sunlight, you can't just go and grab it and paint it. You can however set up crystals to change the wavelength of the light thus making it visible. How you would do this with a 700nm wavelength I do not know. Maybe someone else can give you a better answer.

Thank you, I have talked to my colleague and we agree that a crystal is too expensive and it is not applicable....and we decide to use a detection card to visualize it:
Laser Detection Card IR