Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can someone help me out?

Dawgz

Here are my diodes!

dsc08229lb1.jpg

dsc08232id8.jpg

dsc08236kr7.jpg

dsc08237yp4.jpg

I don't know anything about a $5.00 fee when using PayPal. But why not use Google Checkout? It's free, easy, seems to be safe, and best of all it isn't PayPal.

*Edit* Please resize or crop to 800px Wide or less. ;) it makes things easier to see. thanks

Dawgz

Just came back from Radio shack and got most of the stuff!

dsc08238sj6.jpg

Capacitor - 47UF 35V - Catalog # 272-1027
LM317(T) - Catalon #276-1178
Potentiometer - Catalon # 271-265
Resistor (10 ohm)
Siicone Diode - 1N4001 - Catalog # 276-1101

Dawgz

I got a 10ohm resistor instead of the 4ohm, is that a big diffrence?

Gazoo

Looks good so far...I use similar pc boards too. With the rheostat set at the least resistance, you will be applying 250ma's to the diode. Since it came out of a 16X DVD burner it should be able to handle it. But I would try around 160ma's since you should be able to light matches and so on. Just keep in mind with anything less than 6 volts powering the circuit the regulator will begin to drop out.

Also for safety's sake, it is best to solder the capacitor directly across the diode. However if all of your connections are good you will be ok. Just make sure you have your meter connected before you apply power. The best way is to connect a 1 0hm resistor in series with the diode and measure the voltage across it...this will give you your current and prevent possible damage to the diode from a bad connection on your meter.

Dawgz

Gazoo said:
Looks good so far...I use similar pc boards too. With the rheostat set at the least resistance, you will be applying 250ma's to the diode. Since it came out of a 16X DVD burner it should be able to handle it. But I would try around 160ma's since you should be able to light matches and so on. Just keep in mind with anything less than 6 volts powering the circuit the regulator will begin to drop out.

Also for safety's sake, it is best to solder the capacitor directly across the diode. However if all of your connections are good you will be ok. Just make sure you have your meter connected before you apply power. The best way is to connect a 1 0hm resistor in series with the diode and measure the voltage across it...this will give you your current and prevent possible damage to the diode from a bad connection on your meter.  

Hmm, well what do u mean by Solder the capacitor directly across the diode...can u show me a rough sketch?

Gazoo

It means solder the capacitor directly to the pins of the diode. But I am using 10uf 16 volt capacitors and I really believe this is sufficient...they fit in the aixiz module. Since you already have the 47uf, don't worry about it...just do as I have already suggested to measure current. As long as everything is soldered, you will not have any problems.

Dawgz

sweet, another thing, u saw that i have two diodes that i got out of my dvd burner, can i use either one to make a high power laser that can burn thru things? or will only one of them do this?

Gazoo

One is infrared and the other is red. You do not want to play with the infrared one unless you have eye protection. It won't even make a beam...all you will see is a faint red dot that is capable of doing damage to your eyes. I don't mess with them...I throw them away.

The red on the other hand will make a nice visible beam. But if you plan on burning things up close you will need eye protection. The best is the Wicked Lasershades...they are expensive when you include the shipping but worth every penny. Since you have a driver I have no doubt you will want to experiment with other red diodes..you will get hooked.. :)

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Red_650nm_LaserShades-49-16.html

Dawgz

thanx for all ur help ths far, but how can i defrentiate which one is the one that i want to use?

Dawgz

and, could i hook up a 9v battery as its power source? or would that be too much?

Gazoo

The way I do it is to connect one aa or aaa battery to the diode..don't look into them but you will know when you have the right one as it will light up like an led.

If you are talking about a 9 volt transistor radio battery do not expect it to run for very long. You would be much better off with 6 nimh AA or AAA batteries. As long as the voltage is 6 or more volts, the current going to the diode will remain the same.

Dawgz

Something really weird is up, the diode lights up but when i crank the POT to its max, its still a weak light...

and the way the diagram shows it, if i hook it up like that, the POT doesnt even do anything. SO i modified it, here take a look, whats wrong?

Here it is on MAX(Cranked all the way to the Right)

dsc08240is7.jpg

dsc08241qg8.jpg

Here it is on the MINIMUM(cranked all the way to the Left)
dsc08242gu7.jpg

dsc08243el5.jpg

Here's the "edited" (probably wrong) back of the circuit.

dsc08244le1.jpg

dsc08245vf7.jpg

dsc08246dv9.jpg

S

SenKat

Show a close-up of the soldering job on the diode itself, can you ?