Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can I use 445 nm goggles for 405 nm lasers?

I have a 445 nm goggles from wicked lasers and will soon get a 405 nm diode.
My initial thought is that 445 goggles should be working with 405 lasers. This was true until I saw wicked lasers selling goggles that are made for either 405 or 445. (Separately) I know they might do that to get more money but I can't trust that thought.

Then I tried searching but all I found is this video that I can't either trust
Wicked Lasers 445nm Safety Goggle Test - YouTube

The guy basically shoots a 700 mW 405 nm laser through a 445 nm goggles and the LPM shows 15 mW.

Do I need to buy 405 nm goggles or is the 445 goggles enough?

Thanks!

Last edited:

btc5

General rule is that if you have laser with X wavelength , googles with X+ s (where s is no more than 50) will be good. But it doesn't work backwards, for example if you have 808nm laser you can't use 650nm googles.

Last edited:
Apparently most things from Wicked lasers arent that good.....If your goggles are the same as the ones shown in the video I would definitely suggest you get a certified pair!

I would suggest eagle pair. You can find them here: Survival Laser Home

Alternatively you could try these, but please note these are not certified only tested:
Cheap Safety Glasses - TESTED
Good luck

General rule is that if you have laser with X wavelength , googles with X+ s (where s is no more than 50) will be good. But it doesn't work backwards, for example if you have 808nm laser you can't use 650nm googles.

Nope! I wouldnt use that rule it all depends on the dyes used in the plastics, their respective absorption spectra and extinction co-efficients. As the dyes used vary widely, so do their absorption spectra. You need to look at the OD vs wavelength graph that the manufacturer supplies or should supply with the goggles.

Edit: Sorry for double post!

Last edited: