Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can I replace a 5V 1A power supply with a 5V 2.5A power supply ???

Hi to all the forum.
Sometime ago I have bought from China this device:

Mini Laser Luce Effetto Lighting Proiettore per DJ Disco Stage Party Show Club | eBay

It was at 1/3 of that price, but after 2 working hours, the power supply starts to emit strage sounds and then popped.
I substitute the original broken alim with an old power supply, more powerful (2.5A instead 1 but at the same voltage). After few seconds the device burned. So I decide to bought another device from Germany thinking to receive a better alim, but I received the same power supply. Now the device works, but the alim starts to emit the same disturbing sounds.
So, I do not know if the first device was damaged by the popped alim, and I do not know if this device needs to be current limitated and want only 1A and not 2.5, but now I'm scared to kill another device.
I wish to know if a device originally powered with a 1A alim can work safe with a 2.5A one.
Also, I do not know if under load the 2.5A alim shows different performances from the 1A one, in terms of current and/or voltage.
The only test that I have done was to connect a multimeter to the 2.5A alim and leave it working for 12 continuosly hours: the voltage output is stable at 4.8V, but remember that it is not under load.
What is Your opinion? What kind of tries I must do to confirm the goodness of the 2.5A power supply?

ARG

The device is voltage driven, the power supply current rating is just the maximum that it can supply.

A voltage driven device that runs at a current lower than 1A will draw the same current from both a 1A rated PSU and a 2.5A rated PSU. (Assuming the PSU's are at the same voltage).

Hello Arg.
I tried to replace the 1A with a 2.5A with same voltage: the device works very bad!
The green laser stay off, while the red one emit a weak beam.
Also the motor spin in a very slow manner.
I think that this device needs a custom power supply!

ARG

If you're noticing a difference between the power supplies then it is likely that one of them is faulty.
In theory they should both work the same.