Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can 1 watt 445nm blind you?

If i accidently get hit in the eye from 1 watt 445 laser will i be blinded instantly?
what if its 1.5 watt?

or will it blur my eyes or something then next day i can't see? i always wondered this

udanis

Search. There is plenty of information on this.

* senses flame war starting soon*

It will be horribly painful and you'll probably hear a slight popping sound if you're hit with a true 1W from close up, and even at long distances it's going to hurt like hell and blind instantly.

If i recall correctly, your instantly blinded and struck with pain on the initial flash. It's then followed by severe headaches.
Then after a day or two your vision begins to come back and you'll start to notice the blind spot where you permanently blinded yourself.

I wonder if the day or so long blindness is from inflammation and swelling pressing on the optic nerve?

horhay

the general point of eye damage is 25mW/second. so 1 watt= 1000mW. so you've got 25/1000=0.025 second. id say thats a definive YES. permanently. 1.5 watts would be 0.017 seconds. come on, look at the forums. look at the danger that people talk about over and over again on the 445 forum stickies. your 1/10th of a second blink reflex will not help you. is this some sort of a joke?

wow i thought it would be painless
the general point of eye damage is 25mW/second. so 1 watt= 1000mW. so you've got 25/1000=0.025 second. id say thats a definive YES. permanently. 1.5 watts would be 0.017 seconds. come on, look at the forums. look at the danger that people talk about over and over again on the 445 forum stickies. your 1/10th of a second blink reflex will not help you. is this some sort of a joke?

No its not a joke, i know it will blind u and u should wear safety glasses.
I just wanted to know exactly what would happen

Hehe the power(L)
*recalls "in the land of the blind" sentence found in someone's sig.

nonsense, you can just walk that one off trooper

I smell troll-age

can 1w of 445nm blind you?
probaly not. I mean they also use laser treatment for curing eyes.
Id say try it out and then report back here.
Also make sure you can blind type first.
and blindy read a pc screen and control a mouse.
I take no responsibility in this good advice.

If you hit the spot where all the nerves exit/enter the eye (ironically your natural blind spot) you can blow you complete eye and really lose nearly all or all your vision in that eye.

Aside from a a few jabs, we're telling (YELLING) you that if you have to ask, don't get one until you have eye protection and fully understand the potential danger of a laser. I tell people the same thing about firearms.

HMike