Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can’t run my DTR driver when the battery is in the case

cosmonaut

Hi y’all, I’m running an ACS1500SE from DTR inside a convoy flashlight housing with an 18650. My driver works just fine as I can hook my bench top supply to the + spring terminal and the case, powering it with no issues. I can also attach those leads to my battery externally and power it just fine. When I put the battery in the case and screw it down however, it won’t turn on. I’ve checked the continuity of the case/back cap/front cap and it’s fine. I’ve for shorts and found none. I’m so confused why this could be happening. The resistance of the case is minimal- like 0.5 ohms so it’s not dropping the voltage (since it works with leads outside the case.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
It's probably as simple as the battery top being too flat. Show some pictures.

Giannis_TDM

Hi y’all, I’m running an ACS1500SE from DTR inside a convoy flashlight housing with an 18650. My driver works just fine as I can hook my bench top supply to the + spring terminal and the case, powering it with no issues. I can also attach those leads to my battery externally and power it just fine. When I put the battery in the case and screw it down however, it won’t turn on. I’ve checked the continuity of the case/back cap/front cap and it’s fine. I’ve for shorts and found none. I’m so confused why this could be happening. The resistance of the case is minimal- like 0.5 ohms so it’s not dropping the voltage (since it works with leads outside the case.
What diode are you using? FYI some diodes have their - or + hooked up to their brass case.

3 probable possibilities already stated! BUT without at least knowing the color and type of diode its impossible to tell. With that driver it could be a lot of different diode combinations.

1.as stated it could be a non-neutral case diode
2.as stated it could be a battery connection
3.could be something else related to driving the signal through the driver and/or battery then back to driver.
(for example you could have a bad bottom button.)

post the diode
post pics of each setup

Hi,
Sometimes the coatings of flashlight mods interfere with a positive grounding through the host. try sanding were the heat sink touches the bell of the host and sand a bit on the threads . Tailcap, battery tube to the bell , anodizing might be the issue .
Rich:)