Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Camera image sensor blind or damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

norbyx

I am just wondering if it would be possible to actually permanently damage the image sensor of a trafic camera if, for example, I placed a laser on a tripod and shined the center of the camera for a certain ammount of time, or would it just be blinded as long as the laser is pointed?

Last edited by a moderator:

put down the computer. step away and reflect on your life and why you ask such questions in the first place.

In order to aim a device at the sensor one has to be in the field of view of the sensor. Thus one will be arrested and charged with (usually a felony) criminal behaviour. In the end it is better to just not speed and obey traffic laws.

DrSid

As if our hobby does not have enough unwanted attention ..

norbyx

Well, first you don't have to worry on what will happen in your country since i am asking from far far away. Second I just asked a question, simple as that, if I wanted to destroy a camera I would just shoot it. I am just wondering if I pointed a 1W or even more powerfull laser directly at the lens of the camera will it damage it permanently or not.... Anyhow as soon as my lasers arrive I shall make a home test with an old camera I have sitting around and post the results.

I just asked a question, simple as that

norbyx: Hey guys, If I put cyanide in my mother's tea and then encase her feet in concrete and throw her in the river would she stay down there?
Forum: Stop and think about what you're doing. That's illegal.
norbyx: I'm just asking a question, jeez. If I wanted to do it, I would have.

norbyx

You guys make me laugh.... Jajajajaa
Most of you have illegal lasers and use them and no one says anything. I ask a question that uses the illegal lasers that most of you have, to see if a camera would suffer damage from it, am I going to do it? No, not likely, but if I wanted I could. Was my question answered by any of you experts? No....
Well what is there more to add, only solution I see is to experiment for myself and answer my own question, just thought that experts in this forum could give me an answer without having to make my own tests.
I see that it's not like that.

norbyx: Hey guys, If I put cyanide in my mother's tea and then encase her feet in concrete and throw her in the river would she stay down there?
Forum: Stop and think about what you're doing. That's illegal.
norbyx: I'm just asking a question, jeez. If I wanted to do it, I would have.

Thanks for the laugh, that was so funny

I chuckled and was entertained as well.

*edit: I love the tantrum and stomping off! Because it's going to work just like that...

Last edited:

LaZeRz

Well, first you don't have to worry on what will happen in your country since I am asking from far far away.

Turn on your TV and tell me if there are any news reports coming from other countries...

catman

Yes, if you have an old camera that you don't need any more try shining a laser at it, you'll cause some dead pixels.

I believe PhotonicInduction aimed his 1W+ 532nm labby at his old digital camera and it only killed a couple of pixels. He still used the camera for many videos afterwards.

MXC Has come up with better ideas.

Ken: Breaking traffic laws and destroying police equipment is a good idea Vic!
Vic: Right you are Ken.
mxc.jpg

Don't! Get! Eliminated!

Last edited:

DrSid

Norbyx, we really don't care much about what you do in your country. We care about what information is available here. We don't want information suggesting criminal activity, or even helping in it.
And you might be surprised, but most people here live in countries where owning 1W laser is not illegal. Usually only specific kind of use can be illegal. Also if you want to sell such laser as complete device, it must follow some rules. But building from parts, selling parts, owning the laser, and usually even harvesting is usually legal.
I am for example not aware of any illegal laser related activity I ever did.

norbyx

I see that this thread is going the wrong way so I rather ask a moderator to close it up since my initial intentions were to ask a simple question on a matter and not imply that I am going to break any law or damage police equipment.
Is as if someone asked if a laser could reach a plane in flight, would that automatically imply that he is going to shoot a laser to a plane? That he is doing a felony and that he WILL do it??? I don't think so.
Or if someone asked if shooting someone with a hi-power BB gun from 100 yards would cause death... Does that imply that I want to shoot someone or just want to know if the BB gun has enough power to kill someone?
For me asking a question has just one purpose, getting an answer and not just comments on how bad would it be if one did it.
Anyway before it gets any more polemic, I rather make my own tests on an old camera, and eventually post the results, just in case someone else was just wondering what the answer to the question is.

DrSid

If you were asking if laser can damage a camera, I guess you would get some reasonable info. If you ask if it can damage TRAFFIC camera .. well then it's rather clear what you are up to. If you want to be sure not to damage traffic cameras, don't point lasers at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.