Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Calcite fluorescing with blue lasers question

This inquiry has to do with Laserman121's fun little experiment found here.

I'm hoping there are some rock/crystal hounds that can help me duplicate his results. Last night a borrowed a friends nice fat chunk of calcite and lased a 1W 445nm through it for about 5 seconds and then turned it and the lights in the room off but the beam trail did not remain. After speaking to Laserman121 he told me not all calcite will do this but wasn't sure what type of calcite is needed to make this happen. Does anyone know anymore information or name of the calcite type I need to duplicate his results?
cheers
OM'

I'm no geologist but I also thought Laserman121's pictures seemed really cool so I looked it up. Found this - Mineral fluorescence under blue light - johannsenite - NIGHTSEA
Looks like the type of calcite in particular may be johannsenite, not 100% sure but this site also came up and it looks promising. The pictures in this gallery look very similar to Laserman's. Luminescence, fluorescence and phosphorescence of minerals

You hit the jack pot. The pics in one of the links look exactly like Lasermans and are really exciting to imagine how these minerals will react with the power of coherent light opposed to led. The links you posted as well as some of the other sites I found seem to discuss what minerals fluoresce under light but so far I can't find which calcite will glow and emit light when the lights are turned off like Lasermans. Maybe I am mis reading some of these websites are kind of confusing.
Many thanks for the help.

Its funny, Laserman121 tried this by pure accident not knowing the outcome. That must have been a surprise.

Last edited:
Hi,
Go to geology.com and type in fluorescent minerals theres a pic of all the minerals that absorb uv light. it
s a cool site OM..

Rich:)

Wow.. I collect some different kinds of rocks and minerals and I have never once thought to shine a laser through them. Guess I'll be trying that soon.:D

Last edited: