Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

c-mount?

c-mount is just a type of diode package instead of the standard 5mm diode cans you have a diode atop a square shaped metal mount with a hole in the middle

they have a tab sticking off the side which is one connection for power, the other is the case of the diode itself

the beast housings from kenom support Cmount diodes and should be a good way to make use of them, and you power them same way as you do a regular diode - a constant current driver

461214.jpg

Are there any schematics on how to connect these properly. Plus do they need to be heatsinked? Also where exactly is the diode?

Most of a c-mount diode is a place to make connection to a BIG heatsink. The actual die is at the top, exposed open can style in that little valley near the power input connection. Polarity of the device can vary according to part.

As for drivers, Same as a little driver only scaled up to handle several amps of current.

Mike

The "large" hole in the center is for a screw. The diode is simply screwed to a heatsink. If by "diodes" you mean "emitters" (as the whole component is considered a "diode), the emitters have been circled from the above pic.

Attachments

• untitled_036.JPG
    untitled_036.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 264
That makes sense. I wanna get one of these adventually because for IR they are cheaper than like the to-3 diode and I can get more power from these.

Looks like a c-mount OK but no knowledge about the wavelength or installed lens.  Burning power looks sick but is there a lens in the housing???

I offered $25 and was shot down.  I smell smoke  :( Without more info -- I bid my max.

Good Luck
Mike

JLSE

kristopher said:

LOL, that guy bought 20 for 100$ or so. I bought from him before realizing his source.. They are not 808nm, im guessing 980nm+. My OD-4 goggles have been tested with various IR diodes, including c-mounts. The highest they will block is 840nm (tested), these diodes go right through the goggles.

The ones I bought are in the 'to do' drawer, until I get the proper shades but can be pushed upward of 4watts :cool:

Besides the wavelength, which when it comes to burning should affect little or nothing, are these still good diodes for the price? Can I do just as much with these as I could with an 808nm? Are the same as other c-mounts and is this a good deal. I wanted an 808nm 3W but if these are the same but just a different wavelength then I don't see the trouble. Anyone help?

Ok I spoke to the seller. He said that its a good chance they are 808nm but no garrentee. I just want a burner anyways. Also he said he looked into those 20 for $200 and spoke to others. He said they are much much lower power and he is not selling those. The only reason he has these maybe 808nm ones for cheap is because he does not know if they are truly 808nm and does not want to rip people off. He even told me that if i want it for DPSS that he will not sell it to me because there is no garentee of the 808nm.
Also are these good enough to cover me even if its 808 or higher?
http://cgi.ebay.com/808nm-980nm-106...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

They look just like the good ones i got from laser-wave for my RGB and 405nm customs.

Brett

kristopher said:

I almost bid on a fiber coupled IR diode from this seller for over 150 dollars.  I had originally noticed the "DPSS" and "808" in the heading (just as these C-mounts list as) which would lead me to believe I was dealing with an 808nm laser.  Unfortunately in the case of the one I was bidding on, it was an 835nm, which would have output very little to nothing when coupled with my crystal of Nd:YV04=>KTP.  It's misleading to put DPSS in there just to attract buyers who may find out later they've been duped into bidding on something altogether different.  The ol' bait and switch.  Pretty lame if you ask me.  Luckily I didn't bid on the fiber coupled diode.  I will avoid this seller for sure in the future.

I'm quickly finding out that patience, precision, and expensive quality components are the key to DIY DPSS, and it can't really be done cheaply....at least not both cheaply and on a strict time line.

But yeah, for just playing around burning stuff those C-mounts should be great!  Just use certified goggles, with a high enough OD rating for your power level, and coated for a wide enough bandwidth to cover these unknown wavelength diodes.

-Brett