Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Buying Red vs Green

I'm looking to buy another laser, I already have my protective glasses now I just need to decide what to get. I am currently debating between a 100mW 532nm focusable laser, and a 200mW 650 nm focusable laser. The links are here :
LZCS - Classic 532nm 100mW Focusable Green Laser Pointer
LZCS - Classic 650nm 200mW Focusable Red Laser Pointer
So what I am wondering is which one will burn better? I know the green will be brighter and will be able to be focused to a smaller point, but will the higher mW make the red laser burn better?

Pman

I am actually about to go to bed but I'm sure others will jump in and if not I will tomorrow. Need to know some other information though such as your location (such as country) and are you saying you are not interested in a blue or violet. What exactly do you want it to be able to burn when you say burn? I'm assuming your looking at glasses, batteries and a charger seperate unless you already own those.

It's alright I can wait until tomorrow. I'm just looking for a laser right now, I live in the US. Blue/violet was only ruled out because it is so expensive, I only have 60 dollars to spare which is why I was looking at fairly low mW

Pman

Well take a look here at the specials. The best burner will be between the 1W blue and the 300mW violet 405nm. They are the first ones I can think of off the top of my head that would be much more powerful than the ones you posted and certainly higher quality.

Like I said I only have 60 dollars to spend and I don't think I would find a real blue or violet laser with that amount of mW for under 60 dollars

hi as Pman said with 60 USD you won't get any high quality/high power stuff.... save up more money and then buy top notch products..... like Sci-fi or Sanwu or LaserChick... if you want something Custom i and many other member can build you one.... may be around $300 USD as you will also need chargers and high quality battery....

I'm only looking for an entry level burner, I was looking at those 2 links above and just wanted to know which would burn better, or guidance to find a higher mW for under 60 dollars. I don't need anything worth over 300 dollars just yet lol

i'm talking about High quality Batteries and Charger and safety goggles and The laser that will lasts ...... not cheap quality stuff that fails after weeks......
this is an expensive hobby.... what you pay is what you get..... i spent $300 to start out in this hobby with the right accessory that last.
but if you want cheap stuff that will die after weeks ebay is the place....

You are correct on both points in your original post.
The green will be brighter but the red will burn better as it is double the power output. That of course is based on if the beam diameter is the same.
Wish you could get a better laser but if you only want to spend $60, so be it. Hope you end up with an okay laser. Good luck and enjoy. Be safe!! :)

pucho

I bought a 301 green 200mw/100 true mw from ebay over a year ago when I first got into this hobby and mine burns,pops balloons and has an infity beam like crazy till this day, yes I believe I was lucky for a 15$ laser, why not look into buying a host from a member and diode module from dtr like I did and you will be satisfied in your choice and have a unique burner to show off:cool:aint it. don't forget to protect your peepers. Also when I bought my cheapbay laser I got extra batt. and charger-cheap but also working today, my kids put my 501 and 301 through hell lol

Pman

I goofed. When I said "here" I forgot to post where and didn't mean here on the forum although I've gotten some fantastic deals here such as a class 4 532nm and 638nm for $50 each;)

Look at the specials here such as:
New special Burning 250mW red laser torch/focusable [OL-RT-250] - $25.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

New waterproof Blue laser 1W torch /focusable [OL-BLUW] - $54.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

New Arrival 405nm 300mW Violet laser torch /Focusable/Burning [OL-NVL-300] - $42.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

I personally own the red one and know someone else bought it and both measured slightly over 200mW. Realize that is less than the advertised but it's still decent and I own at least 5 more O-like units and everyone of them was overspec. As far as I am aware of they still ship with a charger and battery (cheapos but at least you can use the laser right away). These are decent bang for the buck deals to get you going. I didn't take into account shipping though. I would guess that you could probably afford the 300mW 405nm with shipping and even if it came in at 200mW it would still burn really well and far more than your original links. The 405nm will not be very visible if you really want one that you can easily see the beam. Red won't be very visible either but power for power won't burn like the violet will. If you can stretch your $ for the blue you will get good visibility like a 100mW 532nm and it will burn well.
Take a look around at their stuff as there's plenty of other stuff there although those specials are likely to be your best choice? Remember that anyone can get a bum unit regardless of where it comes from.

Last edited:

GSS

Yup IDontR, those are good sights Pman gave. As to the 2 links you saw on the OP thread, those are the cheap 301 or 303 host lasers that some members mentioned that are all over ebay for $10 I'm just making sure you know the connection. Do a little research and you will find something for your price range. Thats if your not already happy with the O- like link Pman posted.

Pman

I did purchase one lazerer in the past and I tell anyone who does to always buy the power certificate as I believe you are much more likely to get what you paid for (I can't prove that but it's what my gut tells me). As GSS mentioned, those units they are selling are sold all over Ebay really cheap. Luck of the draw what you will get and it may work out or not just like most Ebay lasers.
You can certainly buy lots of expensive units from the places others mentioned but I'm trying to stay within the parameters requested. It doesn't mean anyone elses suggestions aren't legit.

Last edited:
I goofed. When I said "here" I forgot to post where and didn't mean here on the forum although I've gotten some fantastic deals here such as a class 4 532nm and 638nm for $50 each;)

Look at the specials here such as:
New special Burning 250mW red laser torch/focusable [OL-RT-250] - $25.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

New waterproof Blue laser 1W torch /focusable [OL-BLUW] - $54.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

New Arrival 405nm 300mW Violet laser torch /Focusable/Burning [OL-NVL-300] - $42.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

I personally own the red one and know someone else bought it and both measured slightly over 200mW. Realize that is less than the advertised but it's still decent and I own at least 5 more O-like units and everyone of them was overspec. As far as I am aware of they still ship with a charger and battery (cheapos but at least you can use the laser right away). These are decent bang for the buck deals to get you going. I didn't take into account shipping though. I would guess that you could probably afford the 300mW 405nm with shipping and even if it came in at 200mW it would still burn really well and far more than your original links. The 405nm will not be very visible if you really want one that you can easily see the beam. Red won't be very visible either but power for power won't burn like the violet will. If you can stretch your $ for the blue you will get good visibility like a 100mW 532nm and it will burn well.
Take a look around at their stuff as there's plenty of other stuff there although those specials are likely to be your best choice? Remember that anyone can get a bum unit regardless of where it comes from.

Right now I am on mobile and those links won't open correctly for me but I am interested in the 1W blue laser, do you know anyone who has purchased it? And also at 1W I assume the beam would be fairly visible in dim light even being blue and it would burn fairly well? Thanks for replying and for the links btw!