Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Buying my first high powered laser

I have about $100 to spend to buy a high powered laser and I'm wondering what's a good laser to get and where to get it? I am looking for something which has the ability to burn through paper ( when drawn on with a black sharpie) or Pop a balloon. I already have safety gear such as Goggles with OD 3 and I am not reckless with my lasers. If a member on the forums would like to sell me one, that's great too!

Thanks for reading and I hope you reply with some advice. :thanks:

(By the way, I live in Toronto, Canada)

Last edited:

TuhOz

I think 1.1 Watt laser is little bit too powerful for first "real" laser :p
I suggest you a 50-500mW laser

1.1W is asking for trouble as a first laser goes...

@Ibuprofen200mg if he blinds himself or anyone else... guess where the finger will point.

@hinoobies - Get yourself one of swimminsurfer's overspec green pens to start with, and a pair of goggles from survival laser. If you can't find what I'm talking about I'll post links, but you should be able to with a minute of searching.

I can offer you the same laser listed in my FS thread and include an 18650 Li-ion battery and charger that will bring the power down to below 200mw, at this power the laser will still easily burn paper when focused, light matches etc. I could do this for $120 plus shipping.
- Matt

If your going for Ibu's offer, you need stronger glasses-- OD4 @445nm is what you need, not OD3.

I personally haven't owned a high powered laser but I had borrowed a 200mW green laser pointer from my friend before for around a week. I had experimented with it and learned how to handle it so I am ok with higher powered lasers. I am extremely cautious with the laser so there would be little to no chance for me to point it into my own eyes or someone elses (Since I usually only play with it outside at night for fun).

I personally haven't owned a high powered laser but I had borrowed a 200mW green laser pointer from my friend before for around a week. I had experimented with it and learned how to handle it so I am ok with higher powered lasers. I am extremely cautious with the laser so there would be little to no chance for me to point it into my own eyes or someone elses (Since I usually only play with it outside at night for fun).

A build from Yob or Survival is more than 5 times that much power, and it's a LOT more dangerous. I'm talking about powers that, just a few years ago, were impossible to get from a single diode. This is one watt of focused laser radiation. This stuff can blind you in less than a milisecond, burn and/or set fire to objects, reflections can destroy your sight, and even looking at the dot up close can result in temporary or permanent damage to your eyesight and/or color vision.

These things are supposed to be bolted down in laboratorys, not in handheld hosts. Safety is crucial.

This is no toy, it's a tool. Please, please, please, PLEASE do not do anything stupid. For the vast majority of people, 1W is a very bad idea unless you are very well versed in safety and mature enough to handle it.

With that being said, if your careful, than I think you'd highly enjoy a nice and powerful laser.

Last edited: