Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Buying a real goggle this time

I have been having this goggle while dealing with my 2W laser diode indoor.

Between this pair NoIR LaserShields: Laser safety goggles for Argon and KTP lasers and applications. ($100?)
and this pair Eagle Pair® 190-540nm & 800-1700nm OD5 Laser Safety Goggles

Which should I get? I don't look at the laser directly, the laser is used to engraved wood so I might look at the laser as it burns the wood. There is a metal bracket on the table so there is a minute chance that there is a reflection from there as well.

I don't know much about NoIR laser shields except for, it sounds like it has No-IR protection. A-lot of forum members here recommend Eagle pair and say they are the best laser eye protection you can buy. So out of the glasses you are considering, eagle pair should be the best set.

Oh and by the way, you may want to try using the search bar to look up things like "best safety glasses" and "eagle pair review". There are many forums that already have the info you need. And 1 more thing, filling out your location (like what country you live in) helps a lot of members give you better answers like laser laws for example.
Hope this helps! And be safe!

I don't know much about NoIR laser shields except for, it sounds like it has No-IR protection. A-lot of forum members here recommend Eagle pair and say they are the best laser eye protection you can buy. So out of the glasses you are considering, eagle pair should be the best set.

Oh and by the way, you may want to try using the search bar to look up things like "best safety glasses" and "eagle pair review". There are many forums that already have the info you need. And 1 more thing, filling out your location (like what country you live in) helps a lot of members give you better answers like laser laws for example.
Hope this helps! And be safe!

NoIR is the company name...it doesnt mean "no IR protection."

Those glasses should be fine. They are rated for lasers under 10 watts. If a LPF vet says otherwise, listen to them. :yh:

Looking at the specification, the NoIR goggles look to use the actual ARG polycarbonate filter (48% VLT and OD7+ is a dead giveaway). I've said it before - it's basically armour for your eyes. They're better, both in terms of protection AND visible light transmission than the Eagle Pair you linked.. but will cost more. Get frame style 60 for complete cover at all angles.

I have an ARG pair style 60, postage included they cost more than most of my lasers, but then my eyes are worth the world, so...

Last edited:
I can't get to an online store from NOIR website. Are they not selling these online directly?

Try Cascade Laser. I found a fair few of the companies that sell them don't have an online shopping cart but you have to phone - which was not an option for me.

http://www.cascadelaser.com/

(Not NoIR goggles specifically but the same ARG filter, and style 60 look just like NoIR lasershields...)

Last edited:
Eagle Pair™ are not the BEST, but they are
the cheapest ones that WORK. The better
ones start at $80 (yes, kiddies, the dollar
sign goes BEFORE the number).

NoIR Laser shields are high-quality, certified laser goggles. They're the ones that OEM Laser Systems used to sell when they were still active.

If you want goggles that cover 405-532nm (ARG), you can get those NoIR brand ARG goggles at AixiZ for $85. It's a pretty good price for them.

You can also occasionally find some pretty good professional laser safety goggles on eBay by going into this section and searching for "safety". I have picked up many professional certified goggles for dirt-cheap that way, including (just now) a second pair of NoIR goggle for filtering red wavelengths for only $13 shipped.

NoIR Laser shields are high-quality, certified laser goggles. They're the ones that OEM Laser Systems used to sell when they were still active.

If you want goggles that cover 405-532nm (ARG), you can get those NoIR brand ARG goggles at AixiZ for $85. It's a pretty good price for them.

You can also occasionally find some pretty good professional laser safety goggles on eBay by going into this section and searching for "safety". I have picked up many professional certified goggles for dirt-cheap that way, including (just now) a second pair of NoIR goggle for filtering red wavelengths for only $13 shipped.

Bionic, can you have a look at that Cascade Laser site I posted and see if their offerings look like NoIR lasershields? To me they look like the same product, and I can say for sure they're genuine ARG. The style 60 looks the same as the NoIR lasershield to me.

Just call them and ask them. If you can't tell from looking at it yourself, I certainly can't. Plus, goggles don't just "look" certified, they must be actually certified.

The goggles also don't have to be NoIR Lasershields, but just have to use an ANSI Z136.1/EN207 certified filter. There are a bunch of such filters that have been tested and certified, and NoIR just makes goggles that use them. That's why some of the goggles you'll find on eBay from reputable brands are just as good as or better than Lasershields. Maybe they're Honeywell, or LasrGard, or something else, but you just want a good brand with certified protection.

Since you're in the UK, you can look up other companies with certified filters. For example this one.

I'm pretty sure the ones I have are legitimate. They even had to custom cut the polycarbonate for me, and I speak from personal experience that they have phenominal 445 stopping power. I was just asking if the style 60 goggle was a product called the NoIR lasershield, as they look identical to what I have seen.

I seem to remember getting the graph with mine as well which showed what the ARG lens blocks.

NoIR has a gazillion different goggle styles, and what they're really selling is the filter. Other companies can offer goggles in any style as well. It's really too unreliable to determine from appearances whether they're NoIR. I've even got goggles that have some documentation showing that they're NoIR goggles, but are unmarked. I think they only began marking them recently, but a lot of companies also rebrand those goggles.

You probably have a real NoIR ARG filter though. It's pretty common.