Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Buying a green laser - do I need any filters or things?

Hi

I'm buying an optotronics laser - Optotronics Product Details

First of all, is there any sort of discount I can claim, but also, should there be any sort of filters or anything I've heard about that would be useful to purchase as well to make the beam stronger or whatever?

Thanks!

Filters will not make your beam any stronger, Just think of the name "filter" filters remove not add.

protective goggles are a wise investment, you can buy more lasers, but you only have one set of eyes.

extra rechargeable batteries are always nice.

mat.jpg

Have fun.

Filters will not make your beam any stronger, Just think of the name "filter" filters remove not add.

protective goggles are a wise investment, you can buy more lasers, but you only have one set of eyes.

extra rechargeable batteries are always nice.

mat.jpg

Have fun.

What he said. Goggles are a must for lasers (IMO @532nm over ~75mW if you handle it carefully). I got mine from Rayfoss and they work like a charm but the website seems to be down right now...

I know lots of people seem to be okay with it but I really don't like the absence of an IR filter in my lasers... Better safe than sorry! At a power level of like 5 or 10mW it's fine but when you get 100+ I don't like knowing that there is some IR light that I can't see but is still going to get into my eyes a bit.

As a general rule of thumb: check with the forum before you buy a laser!! Almost everyone here helps a TON.

Hmm

Maybe I'm confusing filters with focusers or eomthing

I've had other lasers, but I've never got any addon things. I do intend to buy goggles, yes I'm very paranoid about safety in general so I assure you I won't be doing anything foolish haha.

But anyway, to make the beam more intense...a focuser as it were I think is what I mean, I've seen people mention them a few times around the boards.

I assume it will just well...focus the beam and make it a more intense but smaller pinpoint (obviously.)

But my question is there is so much stuff on their website, I'm not sure what I should be purchasing for this.

:3

You are probably thinking of a Beam Expander. It helps you focus to a pinpoint dot at long distances. You don't need one right away (maybe not at all, they cost more then most lasers do.). If you plan on burning things then get a focusable laser. If you just want it for pointing or such, a green without focus will have a tighter, smaller, stronger beam.

Haha $174.00 you weren't kidding

But yes this is what I was looking for, thanks.

And it seems I won't be purchasing it...

To clarify; I'm not getting the laser primarily to burn stuff, I'm getting it because I'm fascinated by them...I can't really explain my obsession.

That's not to say that should a match or two accidentally find its way into to the path of the beam...

Whoah I can edit this post

Anyway, I'm at the checkout, and I have an option for a coupon code. Hurray! Does anyone know of any coupons for optotronics?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8382

To clarify; I'm not getting the laser primarily to burn stuff, I'm getting it because I'm fascinated by them...I can't really explain my obsession.

That's not to say that should a match or two accidentally find its way into to the path of the beam...

Whoah I can edit this post

Anyway, I'm at the checkout, and I have an option for a coupon code. Hurray! Does anyone know of any coupons for optotronics?
Welcome to the forums. This first sentence summarizes it all, you've just found your place ;)

this place is full of folks with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

We are obsessed with lasers, We buy them all too often when other things demand that same money

and dis-order aint gonna be my last :)

This is rather funny, but I do actually have diagnosed OCD.

Not sure what this all means then, but hey!