Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

buying a 532nm or 650nm diode

Hi im new on the forum. I just got into lasers. I need  a 532nm or 650nm diode to make my own laser thanks :)

What type of power are you looking into and for what purpose? Lots of people pull 80mW+ red diodes from DVD writers and overdrive them in the 100-200mW+ range. Not to mention a few group buys by people like SenKat and Dr. Lava.

For green though you'd need to buy a module. Green diodes aren't really feasable yet and the only way to get green is by a DPSS (diode pumped solid state) process in which, as Greenie alluded to, a pump diode causes other crystals to lase so that you get a 532nm green output.

i got the idea from someone on youtube and he said use either a 532 or 650nm diode

S

SenKat

Ah, yes....the you tube videos ! Some of those DIY vids are kinds scary - hooking a red diode up to straight batteries and relying on the internal resistance of the batts is kinda like playing craps.....

i allready bought the lenses and casing from AixiZ Lasers and a battery pack from radio shack

S

SenKat

You CAN hook them up that way, I just do not recommend it - it will shorten hte life of the diode considerably ! Are you planning on harvesting a diode from a dvd-burner ? That will most likely give you the best bang for your buck -

S

SenKat

You are better off building one - the boards cost quite a bit form other sources - Meredith Instruments have a few different types, at about $20 each, that is a little steep in my book !