Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Buy my first green laser

Derixx

Hello guys!

I am going to buy my first green laser now but i dont know how many MW i need. I want to use it and see it both on the night and on the day.
What do you think?
Thanks!

/Vincent

If it is your first laser I would go with 5mw. It would be visible at night but not very visible outside during the day. If you want a clear beam you will need ~100mw or so but start off with 5 :)

Last edited:

NO4H99

The 5mw pen will be overspec anyways, and probably have a ton of ir. Just go for a good 50 or 100 from a place like Sci-Fi lasers. You'll be very happy with it.

On a different not, you have safety glasses and realize the dangers of a high powered laser, right??

Hello guys!

I am going to buy my first green laser now but i dont know how many MW i need. I want to use it and see it both on the night and on the day.
What do you think?
Thanks!

/Vincent
Derixx, If all you want is to see it during the day you don't need a great deal of power. Green is the wavelength that at 532 nm is almost at the apex of visual acuity. That means that your eyes can see green far better than red which is at the low end of the frequency of vision or blue which is at the high end of vision. A 100 mw laser should do the trick nicely for you. You could probably get by with even lower power, but in daylight I'd go no lower than 100 mw. I build all my DPSSLs to be continuous wave with a minimum of 30 minutes of on time. A pointer won't give you that much time. Search for a well heat sinked air cooled laser most of which will run at 12 VDC. A thermostatically controlled fan will be a good fit. These will run you between $60.00 and $200.00. Good luck! paul1598419

NO4H99

^^^Just a hunch, but I think that the OP is looking for a normal handheld laser - not an actively cooled module that has to be plugged into an outlet.

^^^Just a hunch, but I think that the OP is looking for a normal handheld laser - not an actively cooled module that has to be plugged into an outlet.
^^^ Some of these actively cooled lasers are small enough to put in a small enclosure as long as it is well ventilated and at 12VDC they can run off three 3.7 volt Li- ion rechargeable batteries. I have several.paul1598419

Tmack

I have a lab 532 tec cooled I can sell if he does want to go that route, but I think he would be better off going for a nice starter pointer.

Grab a eBay pointer, or the recommended scifilasers . Get used to the whole thing before you start going for some lab laser setup. Yes they run longer, but you will be confined to the outlet, and I didn't even want a lab style laser until I was pretty well off in my collection.

Hello guys!

What do you think?
Thanks!

/Vincent
As I told you before, if you want a laser you can see in the daytime start with a 100 mw. You can get it in a pointer, but it won't have a long duty cycle. Maybe a minute, give or take. A 5 mw is a fine little pointer, but you want to see the beam in daylight and that won't do it. So, I guess you'll have to make a decision. Good luck, paul1598419

Derixx

Thanks guys!

Ya, that´s right i want a pointer because i dont have any power at my summerplace. Anyone know where i can buy a 100 mw for a good price?

Sci-fi lasers has a 100mw green laser that just happens to be on sale right now.

(Link: SFCG-100 532nm Green)

If you do get this, you should (need to) get laser safety glasses which are currently out of stock on their website.

Tmack

Same lasers but US shipping. No4a is a great guy too. They are in stock now too.

Last edited:
Be sure to wear safety goggles! The eagle pair's from survival laser are pretty good

Yeah. I.ve got three pairs of safety goggles though I rarely use them. I'm pretty careful and I've been using lasers since the early 80's. Mostly to make holograms, though I haven't done that in a while. I just do this as busy work since I retired as an engineer. I hope you find the laser you are looking for. :) paul1598419