Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Bus driver sustains permanent eye damage form laser.

Here's the story: Toy Laser Pointers Pose Risk To Eye Health: First Case Of Eye Damage Caused By Toy Reported In Germany

So apparently he looked into the beam several times to try to figure out where it was coming from, which is what caused the damage. The pen was probably overspec, because at 50 feet it would have diverged, and then take into account the losses from the mirror. This does NOT help with the media's already poor portrayal of lasers. You can probably expect more reports villainizing lasers in the next few days.

I'm getting really sick of all these laser accidents lately. Sooner or later a laser is actually going to bring down a plane, or cause a fire that destroys an entire city. Then all hell is going to break loose with people demanding that lasers be banned and talking about how evil they are and how they emit radiation. Hell, it's already started to happen in the media.

It really sucks to have our hobby go down the tubes and just have to sit idly by, watching it happen.

</rant>

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing H20!

I disagree with the statement of having lasers taken out of kids hand. The issue isn't the kids(in a way it is due to their poor decision making) but the ease of availability of pointers over 5mW+'s(1mW in Europe's case) coming from China without any enforcement to ensure they output what is advertised. A possible solution would be to have all lasers coming from another country to be metered and have a room set with the equipment which can quickly identify if it complies with legal laws.

Sure, this would cost the gov't some money, but it's not like some countries haven't been wasting it on things which make no sense right?

-Alex

gozert

The problem with having them metered is that ther have to find the lasers first. There are tons of lasers shipped every day, have fun distinguishing those packages from others.

The problem with having them metered is that ther have to find the lasers first. There are tons of lasers shipped every day, have fun distinguishing those packages from others.

X-ray machines? Or somehow have a system set-up to easily find them from the tons of cargo coming in.

-Alex

gozert

Yeah that should work. But I'd assume they would already be doing that if they're so against importing it.

Yeah that should work. But I'd assume they would already be doing that if they're so against importing it.

Hum.... :eek: It just would be a lot better place if everyone respected one another friend.

-Alex

Last edited:

gozert

Yeah for sure it would. Don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon tho.

X-ray machines? Or somehow have a system set-up to easily find them from the tons of cargo coming in.

-Alex

The problem is, you're not going to catch every laser. Heck, I have a cheap ebay pen that does ~0.5mw until you whack it on something, then it does 70mw+.

So what I think needs to be done is we need to have a licencing program. Not some crazy expensive 20 hour course, but a small free online course that would just test your basic laser knowledge and reward you with a small printable card that you can put in your wallet, acknowledging that you took the course. That way lasers could be seized unless you had your card with you. It wouldn't do much to take lasers out of the hands of malicious people shining them into cockpits on purpose, but it would at least educate the innocent on laws and penalties.

The problem is, you're not going to catch every laser. Heck, I have a cheap ebay pen that does ~0.5mw until you whack it on something, then it does 70mw+.

So what I think needs to be done is we need to have a licencing program. Not some crazy expensive 20 hour course, but a small free online course that would just test your basic laser knowledge and reward you with a small printable card that you can put in your wallet, acknowledging that you took the course. That way lasers could be seized unless you had your card with you. It wouldn't do much to take lasers out of the hands of malicious people shining them into cockpits on purpose, but it would at least educate the innocent on laws and penalties.

Lol!

I agree though, having at least people understand the dangers of lasers could help possibly reduce all these incidents.

-Alex

Here it is illegal to use a laser pointer on a bus or any public transit, it will get you arrested, there are even signs posted.

-Alex

They already do that here in the U.S. but we are the third largest country in the world, the volume coming in is unimaginable. Someone could probably even smuggle in a nuke if it was in parts even though they have radiation detectors. There is no way they can check more than a small fraction of what comes in.

Alan

diachi

This is what I suggested in the thread Gozert started earlier. I was thinking something along the lines of the Canadian basic level Amateur Radio License exam. It's not a terribly technically challenging exam but helps to ensure people know the basic theory behind radio operation as well as any regulations or safety issues. It keeps people safe and helps (for the most part) to keep the airwaves clean too. That exam is probably fairly close to the US General Level exam for anyone that's a ham down there. Although, ours has 100 questions as opposed to 35 and with a >80% score you get full privileges on ours.

Of course, breaking the rules then comes with a punishment. Either you'll get a fine, have your equipment confiscated, have your license revoked or all three.

Last edited:
You know, im not the smartest guy I'll admit it. But if we want to progress and survive as a species we've got to help one another out and stop with all this corruption, control over other people and help each other instead of hurting one another.

Sure, many of you have heard this speech but it's true. We just aren't going to last the way things are going right now unfortunately :(

-Alex

@ H2Oxide "Heck, I have a cheap ebay pen that does ~0.5mw until you whack it on something, then it does 70mw+."

LOL ... How the heck did you discover that?!? :D

@ H2Oxide "Heck, I have a cheap ebay pen that does ~0.5mw until you whack it on something, then it does 70mw+."

LOL ... How the heck did you discover that?!? :D

I have really slick tile flooring in some places, and I was shining it around and fell. It was still on, and it took the brunt of the impact. Next thing I know I almost blind myself with what used to be a really dim laser.

After I leave it off for a few minutes it goes back to ~0.5mw.

Typically I'm very careful with my lasers, maybe I shouldn't be. :crackup:

Last edited:
You know, im not the smartest guy I'll admit it. But if we want to progress and survive as a species we've got to help one another out and stop with all this corruption, control over other people and help each other instead of hurting one another.

Sure, many of you have heard this speech but it's true. We just aren't going to last the way things are going right now unfortunately :(

-Alex

You're right Alex, but unfortunately things will get worse before they get better. It is your generation, and maybe your children too that will have to make things better. A better and more peaceful civilization will rise from the ashes of the post world war 3 environment. You will live to see it.

I have really slick tile flooring in some places, and I was shining it around and fell. It was still on, and it took the brunt of the impact. Next thing I know I almost blind myself with what used to be a really dim laser.

After I leave it off for a few minutes it goes back to ~0.5mw.

Typically I'm very careful with my lasers, maybe I shouldn't be. :crackup:

:eek: I worry about my laser falling, I never thought about me falling.

Alan

Benm

I think the problem is "toy laser".

While you could argue that <1 mW red laser pointers are toys to bother cats with, most green laser pointers just are not reliably low power and can cause damage from quite a distance.

As I understand this story the person causing trouble was actually ON the bus and was (purposly?) shining it into the rear view mirror onto the driver. This is about as stupid a plan as throwing some firecrackers under the drivers seat not expecting him to crash the bus you are on.

As for this being the first case a 'toy laser' caused bodily harm i doubt it - there must be some stories of toddlers swallowing the things whole requiring surgery or similar reports on harm caused by utter stupidity :D