Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Burning/melting Plastic...

Sefrez

This doesn't have to do with laser burning, but with the sun and a lens.
I was burning though a maxell cd case and it started to smell real bad (I then got a head ache). Later I started thinking, that some plastics have toxic fumes.

Hes anyone here melted plastic like this? Are there toxic fumes in this kind of plastic? Would I be fine at this point?

Thanks.

EDIT: (heres a screen of it xD)
cdcase.png

Almost all plastic contains toxic substances. Plastic is made from petroleum and chemicals; so breathing in the fumes from burning plastic is like breathing in gasoline and chemical fumes.

That's why it's so important to recycle; you are throwing toxins on the ground, which leach into the air and the soil and kill the environment.

-Mark

Sefrez

So did that little time (maybe 25 minutes) I was burning do anything to me?

Breathing in gasoline, obviously wont kill you with a few breaths mixed in with air, as you smell that when putting gas in your car.

Is what I did any more dangerous than that? I did put my nose and mouth in my shirt at some times, because of the smell. It helped, but not completely.

And I'm not a litterer. :p I also recycle things that can be.