Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Burning laser

rome

Hi,

So I'm trying to build a laser that is powerful enough to burn stuff. I originally wanted to use the diode from a dvd burner, but some people say it only can only easily burn stuff that is black. I would like to make one that can burn a certain green substance within a few seconds. Does anyone know if I can hack together a driver circuit that could make it strong enough yet last a long time with a dvd burner laser diode? Or do I need a different diode? Or could someone point me in the direction to find out?

Very much thanks

Last edited:

ARG

I would like to make one that can burn a certain green substance within a few seconds.

What is the substance? If we know more about what you're trying to burn we can better help you.

Green does absorb red quite well, so it may work, but what are you looking to do? Engrave/Etch onto it, burn it? Some kind of aquarium pest?

rome

To be quite frank, I want to burn marijuana when I go to Holland this march. Haha. I think it will be a cool trick.

Oh that makes sense, is it because green is on the opposite side of the color wheel/spectrum?

ARG

Oh, I should have picked up on that. :rolleyes: I live in Vancouver after all :p

You'll probably need more than a red laser for what you want, but I wouldn't know because I've never tried it. Perhaps someone else can chime in here.

About 200mw "red" is enough to produce a heap of smoke but no real embers or anything, I am currently using a 1.5W 445 and it BURNS

Those are the only powers I have, if you want to do what I think you want to do (use it as a lighter) then you may need a few of the DVD lasers or a nice powerful one (IMO around 700-800mw)