Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

burning laser for school project plz help

Yelik

hello i have a couple of questions pertaining to drivers...
i have already built a simple ddl circuit
and run cheap diodes out of dvd drives (poped them all lol)
Laser driver - It can be done
now before i get scolded i understand the dangers of a high power laser and have done alot of research so i can avoid a white cane
but i have seen some vidoes of slow turn on cicuits were can i find these or are those only for realy high powered ones
i plan on running a 405nm 150mw diode and maybe even higher power ones
and is there maybe a good site that sells diodes
thanks

Last edited:

Yelik

i have a black metal box (used to be for an rc car charger) i plan on pointing it in before powering it on its totaly sealed and also i think im going to just make a video cause we also have to present a power point im just going to pop a ballon, cut tape and stuff i may have to show it works to the teacher but i agree im kinda hesitant on running it in the classroom lol

The delay is supposed to be a safety feature on higher-powered lasers. I don't understand why you would want that on your laser, because IMHO it actually makes it more dangerous for inexperienced users.

There's plenty of sites out there that sell the sleds pretty cheap for DIY laser diode extraction. Rayfoss carries a few different sleds, and they have the PHR-803T sled (405nm) for pretty cheap: www.rayfoss.com

And I think a class demonstration would be safe, as long as your makeshift termination box is angled so that the viewing audience can't see the dot, there aren't any reflective objects ANYWHERE near the path of the beam, even AFTER the termination box, and both the laser and the box are decently secured onto a surface. Also, the operator (you) should wear lasershades.

I recommend the red lasers as the bluish light can cause photochemical reactions on the eye.. and damage they if you make a mistake.