Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Burning close bad for laser?

I was just wondering, if I'm burning like a garbage bag or something with the laser touching the bag and burning, would the light reflection off the bag damage the laser?

Thanks

Well the light wont hurt the laser but the fumes coming off the bag would. Will get on your lens and just bugger it up, same goes for matches. I wouldn't light a match no less than 6 inches away.

ack, i'm glad i know this now!!! my CNI from pseudo came with a sticker on the end, i pressed the button to see if it was working, saw nothing for a second then a green glow and some smoke lol...

Greenie said:
Well the light wont hurt the laser but the fumes coming off the bag would. Will get on your lens and just bugger it up, same goes for matches. I wouldn't light a match no less than 6 inches away.

Yeah I don't light matches too close. But if the fumes fog up the lens or something, can I use a soft clothe and maybe wipe it? Or would that damage it?

marianne said:
ack, i'm glad i know this now!!! my CNI from pseudo came with a sticker on the end, i pressed the button to see if it was working, saw nothing for a second then a green glow and some smoke lol...

Haha, my X105 burns through garbage bags like nothing lol.

Well I had did something similar to what Marianne did. For the most part the residue was just moving around on the lens and not coming off. I had to use some cleaner and a new q-tip after each pass to get it off and that took forever.]

Just don't use it that close. Try it like an inch or two away and hold the laser horizontally so the smoke tends to go up and away from the laser.

Just noticed your last post. If you have a x-105 you do not need to be that close to the bag.

Video

JacKz5o said:
[quote author=Gazoo link=1192219097/0#4 date=1192220405]Lens Pen...highly recommended and I love mine:

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1181069643

So with one of this I would be fine from the smoke from the burnt bags right? I just need to clean up after each session?

Just gliding my laser over a garbage bag and cutting a line is so fun :D[/quote]

No. Just keep it at a safe distance so stuff doesn't get on your lens. If you ever need to clean your lens, its a bad thing, but when it happens you can use a lens pen. That doesn't mean you'll be able to restore the lens like new though, and the buildup and residues can eventually destroy the collimator lens beyond repair.

Gazoo

Yup...this really is the best advice. Another idea is to have a small fan blow the smoke away from the laser.. :D

Guys you can easily mess up your collimating lens especially with higher powered lasers. If you see scatter after burning/lighting something STOP using the laser immediately! If the beam is <1mm and running at 100+ mw particles may heat sufficiently to permanently damage the coating on the collimator. If this happens you will never have a clean beam again no matter what you try to use to clean it off.