Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Burning capabilities

So I was curious.. I understand how brightness and nm wavelength stack up to eachother, but does anyone know about the differences for burning? For example, you have 4 lasers all exactly 1 watt. 635nm 520nm 445nm and 405 nm.. How much better would one burn compared to the others? Is it a small difference or a big difference?

big different mostly due to 405nm are single mode.
therefore they put out a very thin beam compare to the others.
and they carry more energy per photon.

405nm>445nm>520nm>635nm.( 1 watts of 635 nm won't even burn your skin don't try it though).

no problem.

so what laser color are you getting now?

and from where? there's a 6 watt blue for $300 and green for $400 with shipping included.

Don't listen to Isaac Clarke, he's not correct.

please explain it then?

your reasoning is too vague, when you say someone is wrong you are suppose to say why they're wrong.

Last edited:
Just, just stop talking

Don't listen to Isaac Clarke, he's not correct.

Please understand this melon02, you told me to stop joking around and only say things after doing my research and which i did.

here's the thread that i got my information from:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/question-about-wavelength-power-95802.html

you came in here saying that i'm wrong, without any evidence of why i am wrong.

you told me not to not use vague statement and you should take your own advice.....(don't say others are wrong if you can't prove why they're wrong):D

@Yoshi you can refer to the link for more info.:beer:

405nm is a higher frequency than 532nm
405nm is 405 billionths of a meter between waves and 532nm is 532 billionths of a meter between waves, so 405nm has more waves per meter and a heck of a lot more waves per second as light travels 299792458 meters per second.

Cel

Lower wavelength -> more energy per photon.

Power density and absorption are the most important things to consider when burning.
Power density tells us the amount of power per unit of surface, i.e. how concentrated the power is.
Absorption is important because if the material doesn't absorb the photons well, it won't heat up. That is why black stuff is easy to burn while white is pretty difficult.
Different materials have different absorption rates of photons of different wavelengths. That means that some stuff is easier to burn with particular wavelengths.
Everything you see are actually either emitted photons, or reflected ones (those that are not absorbed).

Last edited:
It's kind of like the way moving air cools something faster than still air, but if air is moving faster that the materials ability to transfer heat into the air then the airs velocity "energy " generates friction and imparts energy from it's velocity in the form of heat by exciting the molecules of the material.

Like a spacecraft re entering earths atmosphere, in this case moving air is not able to cool, rather it heats.

When a laser imparts its energy into the material in a way that it exceeds the materials flashpoint it is not always focused at it's tightest.

Sometimes less is more, for cooling moving air is good, but way too much fast moving air is counter productive, not all things are linear and material science is amazing, pressed titanium connecting rods ....but I digress.

Look at this video, where the beam gets tightest ( where the pensile is pointing ) it stops imparting energy into a large surface area and cuts through a thin area without exceeding the flashpoint of the material adjacent to the thin cut line. When the wood is moved into a less concentrated beam of the same energy it imparts heat into more surface area and exceeds the materials flashpoint before penetrating, but if focused needle thin all that energy would just punch through a small spot.

Sometimes less is more in a sense and some tools work better for different jobs, 10400nm will cut clear looking glass but 1040nm will mostly pass through.

Last edited:

Lob

Isaac Clarke/FUbeaches is BlueFusion. I saw him brag about it on laserchat.

Lol... People really have nothing better to do? Go troll Facebook why the heck would you troll a laser forum?

Lol... People really have nothing better to do? Go troll Facebook why the heck would you troll a laser forum?

there are a lot of troll hold grudges against the forum for banning them.

and it seem like they want to abuse me next.