Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

building in an apartment

My family and I intend to stay in the US for one year starting Jan 2012.
I am going to try to convince my parents that building lasers is a legitimate hobby and not only used in terror attacks :)D)

Problem is, we are probably NOT going to stay in a place with a garage.
We are going to stay in an apartment. If I decide to build lasers in my room, will that be hazardous in any way?

Also, are there any state laws in New Jersey that might prevent me from buying/building lasers?

I currently live in korea now, the law against more than 1 mw lasers is bugging me to hell!

Thank you

djayz

Hey dude, dont worry about working in your room , i always work in my room on a 3x5 feet Wooden table that i had made to order..

Hey dude, dont worry about working in your room , i always work in my room on a 3x5 feet Wooden table that i had made to order..

Yes but the problem is I'll BARELY be 14 years old.
I wonder if there's anyone else on the forums who's younger than me...:thinking:

Yea it shouldn't be a problem I don't work in my bedroom anymore (girlfriend hates it) but I used to all the time. Just use common sense and you should be fine.

djayz

I mean you unless you arnt drillllling or metal working it is all fine.. soldering iron isnt too hard to handle or is it ? its just like a cigarette, u hold it untill u smoke it.. so dont worry and keep up the good work

As far as soldering goes I would recommend having good ventilation if you are going to do it in a smaller room and if you're drilling metal make sure you do it on something you can pick up and dump into a garbage because small metal shaving on a floor feel like little needles if you step on them and a bitch to clean up after.....................I learned that the hard way. :banghead: :banghead:

djayz

As far as soldering goes I would recommend having good ventilation if you are going to do it in a smaller room and if you're drilling metal make sure you do it on something you can pick up and dump into a garbage because small metal shaving on a floor feel like little needles if you step on them and a bitch to clean up after.....................I learned that the hard way. :banghead: :banghead:

LOL , thats too bad i used to have this problem for a while but then i started wearing indoor shoes XD

When have lasers EVER been used in a terrorist attack?
As for your actual question, it should not be a problem as long as you have some kind of ventilation.
Goodluck with your projects!

Last edited: